circulator wont shut off

Old 04-10-03, 12:14 PM
metx
Visiting Guest
circulator wont shut off

my gas hot water circulator pump wont shut off even if i shut off the thermostate .i get heat the burrners go on then shut off but the pump wont shut off what can cause thaat it just started last night thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-03, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The relay for the pump maybe is stuck close..

Follow the power from the pump to the relay, Some relay can just "unplug" out of place.. Some are wired to it.. Check and see what you go.. If your's unplug, kill the power, and remove the relay, and turn the power back on and see if the pump starts up again or not.

If it don't start up, then it's the reply.

Old 04-11-03, 06:02 AM
metx
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply .i just put in the relay 12/09/03 with a new transformer .and a new aquarestate .i just cahnges the circulator coupler . could the relay went that fast or can the pump be bad .but again the pump is on just wont go off also the pump is not so quite . thanks

Old 04-11-03, 06:38 AM
If you have a Bell & Gosset model 100 pump, The reason your coupler went bad is because the motor mounts are sagging. That is also the reason the new coupler is noisy. You should replace the motor mounts. Not a bad job, mostly a hammering thing. Be careful when you do because when you remove the wires to get the motor off, some of the older wires had a brittle insulation and could break and flake off and force you to replace the motor.

As for the other problem, the relay should not be burned yet for any reason. It would be helpful for us to know what model aquastat you have on there. If you lift a wire from one of the T terminals, the pump should stop. No 2 ways about it. If it does, you have a wiring problem with the thermostat. If the pump continues to run, you have a wiring problem with the aquastat. Do you have zone valves involved????

Ken

Old 04-11-03, 06:56 AM
metx
Visiting Guest
no zones the aquastate is a honeywell . i cant see the wire screw up because the wireing is all new since 12/03 and never has a problem until the other day .yes it is a b and g 100 thanks

Old 04-11-03, 07:05 AM
Most Honeywell relays have a contactor that makes plenty of noise when it pulls in. You can visually check to see if it is pulled in. That is the most important thing to check. If the relay is not energized, look at the contact blades in the relay. They must be making contact to run that pump.

What transformer did you replace?

Ken

Old 04-12-03, 07:40 AM
metx
Visiting Guest
i changed the coupler again .i looked all around for a new motor mounts and they all said the have to order it and it will take about a week . i just hope that the coupler does not break again.if it does i just might change the whole thing because the got that in .but again not the mounts . i change the tranformer for the thermonstat and it is also conected to the relay .i taped the relay and it started to work again .for how long i dont know .what gets me is that i had a service man put it in in 12/03 and when i tryed to call him he said the relay is good and that he does not want the job .man balls on him . he also said that he rather change the coupler .i said i can change it why should i hire you . he did not like that

Old 04-12-03, 02:02 PM
If you can't get the mounts, look for a coupler called Spiralink. It is a different design and is not affected by misalignment.

Ken

Old 04-13-03, 12:22 PM
Its running for a reason..

The relay is either energized or it's not, Pull one wire on the aquastat if it stops, and the aquastat bulb is to temperature then replace the aquastat, do you have voltage to the TT terminals on the relay box?? if you do the pump Will run, keep in mind you MAY have an indirect hot water storage tank that is calling for heat... This will make the indirect circulator run with the boiler.....Is the space overheating?

Old 04-14-03, 06:28 AM
metx
Visiting Guest
at this point it is working i had a hot water coil on it a few years ago but was dis connected . i disconnected the terminals and shut off .again the relay must has stuck . thanks about the sprillink the supply house has that .the said it is only a temp fix .is that true or is it good for a permaant fix? thanks

Old 04-14-03, 06:48 AM
I would consider the spiralink a permanent fix on a pump that has already outlived it's heyday. When the bearing assembly leaks or locks up, your next permanent fix will be to install a pump like the Taco 007. But in the age of instant gratification, a spiralink will allow you a few more years of trouble free operation from that old pump.

If you lifted a wire from one of the T terminals on the aquastat and the relay dropped out, IT WAS NOT STUCK. It was being energized by the thermostat circuit. Look for a pinched/shorted wire somewhere.

Ken