Air handler fan control

Old 04-11-03, 07:41 PM
J.k.T.
Visiting Guest
Air handler fan control

I have a American Standard air handler that has a problem. The fan has run for two days now, I have the replaced the thermostat but this did not fix the fan issue. The air handlers model number is TWH030B140B0 and the unit part list has a part called a Capacitor,Fan is this the fan control that I need or is this a different part altogether. Thanks J.K.T.

Old 04-11-03, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Question More info please.

J.k.T:

I am afraid you havn't given us much to go on.
You don't say if the air handler is for heating, cooling or air circulation only.
We need a detailed description of equipment and the problem.
In order to repair this type of equipment you need to have a basic understanding of how this equipment works, not only from the standpoint of repairing it, but also one of safety. When working with electricity and something that is capable of physical harm you need to know the basics.

Here's what we need to know:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=122673

Old 04-11-03, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The capacitor would not be the reason the fan runs all the time. As Greg said, we need more information. There is probably a time delay fan control of some kind. Be careful though because many air handlers use 220 volts.

Old 04-12-03, 05:37 AM
J.k.T.
Visiting Guest
Air Handler Info.

This unit is used as part of the heat and air conditioning system. We have a Trane heat pump used with this air handler. The air handler is located in the attic of our home. I am able to disconect and test the electricty to confirm that it is off and I have good mechanical skills and the tools I need to repair this problem. My problem is diagnosis. The access panel is difficult to reach and I was hoping to find out which part is needed before working on the unit. Also this unit has electrical aux heat. I did not think that the capicator was the problem but there was not a part on the parts list called a fan control, there is apart called Relay,Time Delay,DSP,80 sec. Delay,Power Pole. This part has the Air Handler unit part #RLY1169 as found on the functional unit parts list that came with the unit in question.

Old 04-12-03, 05:49 AM
It is likely that the time delay relay is the defective part. If you check the price and it is reasonable, you might try changing it. Its purpose is to run the fan for an additional 80 seconds after the fan is deactivated by the thermostat. Honestly, you could live without it altogether, but if you use the unit for heat and it is in the attic, you will get a little more heat in the house from the coil if you post purge.

Ken

Old 04-12-03, 05:55 AM
i have seen

many of those fan relays stick on those units

Old 04-12-03, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
J.k.T:

Hey, I know what inaccesibility is all about. It seems to go with the job.

Changing out the part would be the simplest way to go but be warned. You have to be sure you get an exact replacement as the parts will sometimes change up to one that functions the same but has different terminal id.
It is common for a service person to check the function of a relay before installing.
This is why it would be good to try to figure out the schematic and do a little electrical detective work.

Old 04-15-03, 04:45 PM
J.k.T.
Visiting Guest
Talking unit repaired

I replaced the fan relay today and that was the problem, no more run away fan! Thanks everyone for the useful advise. J.K.T.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: