a/c fan

Old 04-13-03, 05:48 PM
william64
Visiting Guest
a/c fan

My outside a/c units fan has to be spun to get it to work once I spin it it works fine as soon as I turn it off it has to be spun again. The contactor for the fan makes noise like it wants to spin the fan.Doe's this mean my fan is bad.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-03, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
william64:

It could be the fan motor capacitor but is likely the bearings if it's an older unit.
If you shut the power off to the outdoor unit and remove the fan cover you can check the bearings.
Just try to move the shaft from side to side and if you detect ANY movement, the motor will have to be replaced.

Old 04-13-03, 06:59 PM
william64
Visiting Guest
The fan motor has no play from side to side it turns smooth. I have two units one upstairs and one downstairs.when both are running the bad one do'es not seem to be spinning as fast it is fast but not pushing as much air. Could this be the start capacitor.

Old 04-13-03, 07:02 PM
william64
Visiting Guest
The units are ten years old.

Old 04-13-03, 07:15 PM
If the motor turns easily and smoothly, check or replace the run capacitor. Less than 10 bucks (probably). Be sure the power has been turned off and short the two capacitor terminals with a screwdriver for a few seconds before pulling the connectors.

Old 04-13-03, 07:23 PM
william64
Visiting Guest
I have something else the good units fan turns counter clockwise the bad one turns clockwise. these units are the original no one has touched them they both are on cool. Do'es the fan change directions when put on heat.

Old 04-13-03, 07:28 PM
No, but with a malfunctioning capacitor, it can run whichever way you spin it. It is not good for the motor to run that way. It will get hot as a pistol. Fix it tomorrow or you may smoke the fan motor.

Ken