Carrier Heating And Cooling Electric Heat Pump Unit Not Working At All!

Old 04-19-03, 07:56 PM
Sam Greg
Visiting Guest
Wink Carrier Heating And Cooling Electric Heat Pump Unit Not Working At All!

Hi ! My heating and cooling Carrier (HEAT PUMP-Electric unit) stopped working, in the last few days it started to make a humming sound coming from the attic- no heating or cooling, the thermostat light went on then, now no signs of life at all, I checked the circuit breakers and fuses, they are all OK. Could you please tell me what to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 08:28 PM
hvacman
Visiting Guest
it would be to know if the hum is loud and constant or if it comes and goes.....does the condenser section funtion?? a loud hum from the attic could be a bad blower motor, or possibly a bad or going bad relay......but if you are dead in the water..ie. nothing inside or out is working...it could be a bad transformer....i am thinking your thermostat is functioning because it is battery operated as many of them are today

Old 04-20-03, 06:06 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
We really need more detailed information about this. As you can see from hvacman's posting, there are several possibilities.

What kind of thermostat do you have? How old is the unit? What are the model numbers? Have you done anything else besides checking the breakers and fuses? When was the last time your unit was serviced? Did you physically turn off the breakers, then reset them (some breakers look ok but are really tripped off and need resetting)? Did you check the fuses with a meter or just visually inspect them? Not to mention answers to the questions hvacman asked.

Old 04-20-03, 09:21 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unhappy fan motor

I suspect the fan motor has died. One homeowner check you can do is kill the power to it. remove the blower panel, usually a 5/16" nut driver, try spin the motor by hand if it won't coast a good while, the bearings are most likely seized. Is the motor real hot to the touch? Grasp the end of the shaft and see if the shaft has ANY handshaking (up and down movement), in and out movement of about 1/16" is normal though. See if the air filter is plugged!