ac unit icing

Old 04-25-03, 08:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ac unit icing

I have a central heating and ac unit in my home. Recently I have noticed ice forming on the parts of the line outside that are not insulated and the unit outside has had a little ice on it. when this happens the ac either blows warm air or no air at all. Can anyone help me!

Old 04-25-03, 11:24 PM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
You probably are experiencing an iced over indoor coil. It is generally caused by a lack of airflow over the coil or low refrigerant levels.

First, check to make sure your filter is clean. If not, replace it (disposable types) or clean it (permanent types) Then make sure there is nothing blocking the return air vent(s). Should the unit ice up again after following the above, call a licensed experience reputable HVAC repair service in your area to check the refrigerant level, find and repair the leak if the refrigerant is low and service the unit for the summer.

Old 04-26-03, 08:19 AM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unhappy insulation

Make sure the fatter of the two lines going back to the outdoor unit is insulated. If its not, got some at home depot and replace it. It's common name is Armaflex, although this is a brand name, tradesman will know what you are refering to. 3/8" wall thicknes should be OK... take a small piece with you, this will eliminate size guessing.

Old 04-26-03, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
low charge

If you filter is clean and you get good air flow with just the blower on call and HVAC guy ,your low on freon.If this is it keep the unit off so the tech dont have to stand around and you pay him while the ice melts off the coil.It could be some other things but ill bet on low freon that why you need a tech there to look at it ED

Old 04-26-03, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. The filter is new, just changed it earlier that day and I have insulated the line to the unit outdoors. I think my next move is to call a service tech to check the freon. Its to hot in Georgia to go without ac. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: