Gas Furnace Out

Old 04-13-03, 12:48 PM
jpcavanaugh
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Furnace Out

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace, about 20 years old. I have had some problems lately where the furnace seems to have trouble firing up when starting but eventually, it does start. Last night, the furnace went out completely. How do I safely try to relight? Help- I am a novice and it is still cold up here in Michigan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
more info needed

20 yrs old must be standing pilot, are you having touble keeping it lit? what happens when it does light? are the burners dirty?

Old 04-14-03, 09:26 PM
jpcavanaugh
Visiting Guest
I can not get the pilot to light. I have moved the lighter around trying to light but nothing works

Old 04-19-03, 07:06 PM
hvacman
Visiting Guest
some of the older carrier systems had a spark ignitor that would light the pilot at every call for heat...there was also a bimetal proving device at the pilot head...see if you hear a clicking or ticking sound on a call for heat....see if the pil;ot actually lights....if it lights and burners don't the chances are the bi-metal device is shot and needs to ber replaced......but there are other causes for your heat failure as well.....

Old 04-20-03, 08:37 AM
could be

a dirty pilot orifice, possible bad valve, or a few other things. it sounds as if no gas is present when the button is pushed, can you remove the aluminum pilot tubing from the valve and see if gas comes out there when the button is depressed ....still assuming standing pilot here. if so, dirty orifice, if not possibly bad valve. also there may be 2 wires coming out of the valve at the base of the thermocouple that run through a safety. it may be open, but this would allow the pilot to light, just not stay lit when button is released. give us more details

Old 04-20-03, 09:39 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
You say you are a novice...gas is not something you should mess with unless you have an experienced mentor to show you how. Call for help from a reputable, licensed service company.

Old 04-20-03, 09:41 AM
Unhappy gas valve

Are you aware that the gas valve button must be depressed in order to light the gas pilot? hold it there for about 1 minute,and release. If it wont stay lit, polish up the thermocouple with 0000 steel wool, and try again. If it still wont hold a flame, replace the thermocouple, ..... We're all assuming you have a standing pilot (no spark box device) if you hear a tick, tick, tick don't try light anything. An ignitor generally has like a red rubberized type ignition wire, like on a spark plug wire on a lawn mower...

Old 04-20-03, 07:07 PM
jpcavanaugh
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the advice. Called in HVAC repair guy. There was a switch tripped that shut the furnace down. Repair guy said this happens if furnace isn't properly venting. When he said that, I immediately realized the problem. I had put a chimney cap on the day before I noticed the problem. While assembling the chimney cap on the roof, I placed the box over the top of the chimney for maybe 10 min! This apparently caused my problem.

Old 04-21-03, 03:08 PM
safey's

Sometimes a safety protects us from us!!!!!!!!!! Good to know yours works....