Central Unit - Evaporator Coil

Old 04-28-03, 11:07 AM
Mare40
Visiting Guest
Central Unit - Evaporator Coil

I noticed that my A/C did not seem to be blowing as cool as usual. I had a service rep out and he charged the freon and said that I needed to replace the evaporator coil at $2600 as there was a small leak. Before I spend that kind of money, I'd like to know if that's a reasonable estimate? The unit is about 7 or 8 years old and is 5ton.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would get a second opinion the estimate sounds kinda high for just replacing the indoor coil unless there is intense labor involved.

Old 04-28-03, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Mare40:

I'm not sure what the exact regs are but where I am you are not allowed to add refrigerant without repairing the leak. Environmental regs are everwhere with the use of refrigerants and if they exist where you are then your serviceman is not one to be trusted.
I also agree that the price seems high unless it's a heat pump or a complicated installation.

Also, don't just get a quote on the replacement of the coil. Have a new serviceperson estimate the cost of repairing the leak rather than replacing. Unless the coil has aluminum tubing, it should be easy to repair.

Old 04-28-03, 04:04 PM
Mare40
Visiting Guest
Evaporator Coil & regs

The service tech said the refrig. was low and he'd put more in and then check for a leak. He did (supposedly) add refrig. and then said there was a leak in the bottom of the evaporator coil and it should be replaced. He said that legally he could not add any refrig. again without replacing the coil which would fix the leak. He NEVER mentioned that the coil could be repaired...It's working for now so I will wait and see and if it needs more work, I'll use a different service person and see if I get the same diagnosis.
Thanks so much for your reply! It was helpful.

Originally posted by GregH
Mare40:

I'm not sure what the exact regs are but where I am you are not allowed to add refrigerant without repairing the leak. Environmental regs are everwhere with the use of refrigerants and if they exist where you are then your serviceman is not one to be trusted.
I also agree that the price seems high unless it's a heat pump or a complicated installation.

Also, don't just get a quote on the replacement of the coil. Have a new serviceperson estimate the cost of repairing the leak rather than replacing. Unless the coil has aluminum tubing, it should be easy to repair.

Old 04-28-03, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Mare40:

The way it works is if a system is said to be low on refrigerant it means that there is some refrigerant in it but not enough for it to operate properly. If this is the case then more refrigerant does not have to be added to leak test the system.

Old 04-29-03, 06:33 AM
Mare40
Visiting Guest
That makes sense. It is blowing much colder for now and I was able to save myself his quote of $150.00 for a new thermostat by installing a new one myself yesterday. It cost me $24.00 at Lowes....Thanks again for your help!

Originally posted by GregH
Mare40:

The way it works is if a system is said to be low on refrigerant it means that there is some refrigerant in it but not enough for it to operate properly. If this is the case then more refrigerant does not have to be added to leak test the system.