A/C Blade Noise

Old 04-28-03, 04:53 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C Blade Noise

I only know two things about my central air. It is KeepRite and is approximately 7 years old.

When the big blade in the box outside turns it makes a rough noise like it needs oiling.

How do I do this and what do I use?

Thanks in advance.

Linda

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 05:22 PM
Fan

I think you mean the fan on the condenser outside . So turn the power off first . Then did you try to turn the blade with a small stick first To see if it turned ok?We tell everybody to try this before they turn on the AC , to see if the fan will turn clear of everything. It sure saves a lot of tech calls. Lots of times the blades will come lose from the hub and hit things.If this blade is ok its time to oil the motor. Like we say if I tell you there are oil ports on the motor you wont find them and if I tell they arent there they will be. So if you see a little plug on the bell ends of the motor just pull them out and put in some # 10 oil------ and put them back. Not 3 in 1 oil at all. Also look and see if there is and end play or side play on the motor shaft if its bad get a new motor there now. ED

Old 04-28-03, 05:27 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
condenser fan motors dont require oil .sounds like the bearings are worn and motor will need replace.good news is these are relativly inexpensive,normaly 50 to 80 dollars for a motor and less than a hour to replace.

Old 04-28-03, 05:53 PM
generally

7 years old will not have oil ports, does indeed sound like the bearings. be sure this is the source of the noise however, or you will be posting again!