Furnace Noises

Old 04-29-03, 12:24 PM
sijaz
Visiting Guest
Metalic chirping sound when furnace/AC starts

Hi, for a few months now I hear a metalic chirping type sound when the furance/AC unit first starts up. After about 10-15 seconds the sound fades away. I suspect that it is either:

1. draft inducer blower needs replacement
2. the blower fan motor needs replacement
3. the belt is loose or too tight

Any thoughts on what is causing the noise?

It's an Emerson blower motor (in a York unit) for a 1400 sq foot 2 story townhouse in Virginia built in 1993.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-03, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
my 2 centavos

if it has an inducer blower, it is too new for a belt drive. does this happen in heat or cooling? when the indoor fan comes on? give us something to go on...

Old 04-30-03, 06:08 PM
sijaz
Visiting Guest
I have only noticed this when the heat first kicks on. In other words, the very first thing that turns on in prep for heat. I assume it is a motor or fan that makes this clicking/chirping sound given the fast cyclical nature of the noise.

I have not yet noticed it when the AC turns on...the sound is inside in the basement (not outside). Any ideas? Bearings?

Last edited by sijaz; 04-30-03 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 04:05 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
i have 90 plus trane unit that is doing the same thing.the iducer motor kicks on its kinda loud.if i put my finger on the point of the shaft(its exposed) to help balance it,it gets quiet.my guess is the bearings are shot on motor.inducer motor is about 100 dollars.

Old 05-03-03, 06:26 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
Dear sijaz--

If it's the first thing before the burners actually kick in, then it is the induced draft motor or it's blower wheel. Before you go replacing the motor, check the motor for tightness and wheel for being out of alignment by wiggling the end of it when it first starts up (watch out for where you place your fingers and power wires that might be near) See if the noise goes away in relation to the wiggling. If it does, check the motor mounts for looseness and/or warping of the mounting plate which could mean the blower wheel is rubbing against it at start up.

If the mounting is ok, you'll probably have to replace the motor.