heat pump check valve

Old 05-03-03, 01:44 PM
sebut
Visiting Guest
heat pump check valve

what causes a check valve on a heat pump to rattle and should I be concerened about this. It is on the indoor unit

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-03, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HEAT PUMP

When was the last time you had a tech look at it? You could be a little low on freon. What does it do on cool? INFO INFO ED

Old 05-03-03, 05:14 PM
sebut
Visiting Guest
Isnt doing it now in heat or cool but was doing it in heat a while back.
An hvac guy looked at while doing routine maintenance and cleaning and said the noise was the check valve and that "they just do it sometimes" and it was nothing to be worried about.
Cooling is fine so I wouldnt think low on gas would be the problem. Do they go bad or could they be damagd in some way. It is inside the cabinet so it looks like it couldnt get physically banged up.
Still using heat on the odd night so I will keep listening for it but I am concerned as it has not done this in years past.

Old 05-03-03, 06:36 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
are you refering to the reversing valve?if you are alot of times the reversing valve is energized in the cooling position and when the unit is not running but in the cooling position you will hear the reversing valve working.i have seen some quite noisy?
never seen a check valve on a heat pump.

Old 05-05-03, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The check valve is open in heat mode and closes during defrost or when in cool mode. My guess is that it makes noise during the changeover from heat to defrost. I think they have a spring inside to prevent mounting position from being a factor in their operation. Maybe the spring is broken. It still really shouldn't impact the operation of the unit.

Ken