Window A/C Question

Old 05-04-03, 08:54 AM
glmk
Visiting Guest
Corrosion of Window A/C coils

What is causing the aluminum on the window A/C to deteriorate and corrode? The outside section of the evaporator grating is coming apart like it was made of rotten wood. I use the garden hose to wash the outside part of the house and window A/Cs every few months. When I began to wash off the small bedroom unit the other day the aluminum to the outer evaporator coils came off in little pieces and shreds like it was paper. Now I have a slight gouge about 3 x 9 inches missing in diameter and about 3 to 4 centimeters deep near the bottom quarter. What is causing this? Is this a lack of maintenance, a bad place to wear the water does not drain right or poor design? Should I get a new unit, repair this or make arrangements to curve further damage? I seriously doubt the 5 year warrenty covers this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

First just where do you live, are where is this unit. Then what is around you or can be in the air???? ED

Old 05-04-03, 10:43 AM
glmk
Visiting Guest
I live in central Florida. The unit is on the south side of the house, recieves about four hours of direct sunlight (only runs at night though, from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am) and has nothing surrounding it. It has free open air all the way around it. No trees, brush or other objects. All the vents at the top and sides are clear of any obstruction. It has I assome a good angle to allow dranage of the water. Which shows that it does when it is running.

Old 05-04-03, 11:19 AM
window AC

Hey your down here with me. Have friends down in the keys the outdoor unit last about 3 years tops there. Also here on the coast about the same for coils outside. I do know that they are making the units with thinner materials so that they can get a better seer on the units. If its that bad all that I can think of is to wash it down now and then with the hose and not to much power on it ED

Old 05-04-03, 11:26 AM
glmk
Visiting Guest
I was about to assume as much. Guess we will have to deal with it as best as we can. Guess that's why cars don't have much of a paint job after a while here ether.

thanks...

Old 05-04-03, 02:37 PM
Talking ed is right again

that saltwater down there does wonders for coils! had one on jensen beach where there was nothing but tubing when i got there!