heat pump repair

Old 05-04-03, 08:37 PM
kristesc
Visiting Guest
heat pump repair

I recently had an air conditioning repair company do preventive maintenance on my air conditioning unit to get it ready for summer use. My unit is on the ground and approximately 5 years old. I take good care of it. When the technician came, he showed me that everything was in good working order - he even had me sign the repair order showing that the unit was is "good working order". The very next day, when the air turned on, it sounded as though a plane was landing in my backyard. When the technician returned (different person), he stated that the first technician probably "overlubricated" the fan motor and now it needed to be replaced. He said that his company would pay for it. After he spoke with his supervisor, he told me that it is impossible to tell if a fan motor is going bad, and that was why the first technician said everything was fine. He informed me that his company would not cover the cost of replacing the fan motor. I think this is all too coincidental. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 01:42 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
"...the first technician probably "overlubricated" the fan motor and now it needed to be replaced."? "...it is impossible to tell if a fan motor is going bad, and that was why the first technician said everything was fine."?

Hogwash!!! Any PROPERLY trained and experienced HVAC service technician can tell you if the fan is going bad, even if it's caused by an intermittent problem. If nothing else, the fan motor gets replaced with a known good one to see if the problem goes away.

Sounds more like a fan blade got bent out of alignment, a balancing weight came off or something wasn't tightened down correctly when the motor was put back in place and someone doesn't know what they are doing or what causes to look for.

Old 05-05-03, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
kristesc:

It is difficult to imagine how an overlubricated fan motor would sound like a jet taking off.
If any tech screwed up it could be the second one, by opening his mouth without knowing what he was talking about.
If the system was being serviced at the beginning of the season it is entirely possible that the fan motor needed to be run awhile for a bad bearing to show up.

We would need a more accurate description of the problem to be able to have a good idea of what's wrong.