Cutting the Plenum

Old 05-05-03, 03:13 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting the Plenum

Hi all,

I'm tapping into my existing plenums to add some HVAC to my basement. I have a Rotozip and a circle cutting attachment for it. The drywall bits that came with the Rotozip are not cutting it - the plenum is kind of thick and insulated. Is there a Rotozip bit (I see they have tile cutting, platics/formica, etc.) that will work, or is the Rotozip the wrong tool? Looking at their selection of bits I don't see an obvious fit for cutting sheet metal.

TIA,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
turbojimmy:

The correct tool would be a pair of snips. I find that offset aviation snips work best.
In a pinch you could use a jig saw with a metal cutting blade.

Offset snips:http://images.orgill.com/200x200/21698.jpg

Old 05-05-03, 12:29 PM
cut a hole

To get a start in the duct work to cut a hole. We use a old screw driver. Put the small side of it on the sheet metal, hold it at about a 45d to the duct and then tap on the end by the duct sideways This will make a cut like a knife would in the duct. Then use the offset aircraft snips like GregH said. If you want you can drill a small hole and put the screw drive in it and tap it over to make a cut then the snips to open the hole to what you want ED

Old 05-05-03, 04:13 PM
T
Thanks for the replies. The guy at Home Depot, who rarely knows what he's talking about, actually had a point. He said the insulation is getting bound up in the bit and making it hot thus snapping it off. I think he's right. I'll have to look into those snips. There's not much room up there (the plenums are wedged up against the joists) but I think I can pull it off.

Jim

Old 05-07-03, 06:22 PM
you can do it

excellent pics at your site...thanks for the plug!!

Old 05-08-03, 02:23 AM
T
Thanks!

I really couldn't have done it without this site. From the planning, to the framing, to the electrical, and now HVAC. Books help but you don't pick up the nuances that only come from experience - and there's lots of experienced people here to help with that.

Jim