ac problem

Old 05-08-03, 10:57 AM
mdcajun
Visiting Guest
Unhappy ac problem

When I turned on my ac for the first time this year it worked great the first few hours. The third floor of our townhouse felt great. after awhile the ac was not blowing out cold air from the vents on the third floor. I checked the unit and noticed alittle frost on the outside of the metal duct part right above the unit itself. I turned it off and waited. When I turned it on again it worked great for the first few hours. It did the same thing as the first time and i saw the frost again. I just want to know some cheap ways this can be fixed before I dish out big bucks to get it fixed.

thank you...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-03, 11:12 AM
jerryjay11
Visiting Guest
Frosted evap coil?

I would gain access to the coil inside the unit you are referring to. If it hasn't been cleaned in awhile it could be plugged with debrie, dust, lint, etc. If so, clean it with a coil brust. May need to wet it down to help loosen it.

If that's not the problem, then you could have a low refrigerant charge and that will take a certified AC technician. Least likely is the blower motor isn't turning fast enough or the blades of the fan require cleaning.

Old 05-09-03, 02:33 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
mdcajun--

The indoor coil is freezing up. This condition is commonly caused by a lack of airflow, a lack of refrigerant, or a restriction in the refrigerant circuit itself.

Check to make sure you have a clean filter.
Check to make sure the indoor coil is clean if possible. Should you need to clean it, be sure not to bend the fins.

Other than those two items, you will need the services of a licensed experienced service technician.