80% or 92% furnace???

Old 05-09-03, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 80% or 92% furnace???

Hello!
Our furnace died yesterday...so sad. We have gotten quotes on both the 80% & 92% efficiency furnaces and there is a $710 difference. We probably won't live in this house for more than 10 years, so we thought we'd go with the 80%. Our "furnace guy" did say that the 80% furnace is much noisier than our existing (now deceased) furnace and also much noisier than a 92% furnace. The furnace will be going in our finished basement. It will be in the storage area, closed off by walls and 2 doors. I'm assuming these doors have to be louvered for air flow. Can anyone give me insight as to the noise of an 80% furnace? We'll be sitting 6 feet away from this furnace trying to watch tv... Is it worth the extra $710 to go to the 92%?
Thanks for your time everyone!
Ann

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-03, 10:40 AM
New furnace

Like most of us here say---- Did you get 3 bids on this job first. Then look at the cost . ED

Old 05-09-03, 11:50 AM
No, we haven't gotten 3 quotes. The guy who's doing it is a good friend of the family...I know that probably doesn't make it right. Does a $710 difference sound like too much?

Anyway, cost aside, our main concern is the possible noise issues with the 80% efficiency furnace. If it means spending more money to get a quiet furnace, then that's what we'll do. If nobody thinks there's a noise issue to contend with, then we probably won't. Any opinions on the noise???

Thanks again,
Ann

Old 05-09-03, 02:24 PM
I'm not quite sure why the 80% furnace is noisy. I would suggest checking the furnaces out on the internet or by looking at the manufacturers data sheets. Most of the noise in a furnace comes from the blower and both furnaces should have the same blower. I have found the 80% units to be more reliable. The 90+ units are tempermental with respect to ignition, flame sensing and draft proving switches.

Ken

Old 05-09-03, 04:54 PM
i agree

80% is a tried and true unit, no extra problems like condensation drainage during the winter and more expensive repair cost down the road. your saying that you will move within ten tears also says you will not experience the long term payback of higher efficiency.

Old 05-09-03, 10:46 PM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Re: i agree

Originally posted by hvac4u
80% is a tried and true unit, no extra problems like condensation drainage during the winter and more expensive repair cost down the road. your saying that you will move within ten tears also says you will not experience the long term payback of higher efficiency.

I'm about to replace my furnace and ac with high efficiency units. I plan on living here for the distant future so I'll be living in the house to experience the energy payback on the high efficiency unit. I was planning on going with the Carrier 58 MVP, 94% efficient, variable speed, two stage. Would I be better off in terms of long term reliability and future repair costs to go with the 80% with the same variable speed, two stage?

Old 05-10-03, 02:48 AM
It is true that some 80% furanaces are going to be more noiser on the combustion exhaust fan. I would personaly would not put one in my home due to the noise.

The 90% combustion exhaust fan are quieter, and also sealed system do you don't have to worry about air make up for the burners.

If you want super quiet, go with the variable speed fan furance.. The variable speed fan system are in both % furances.

Old 05-10-03, 06:10 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
80% furnaces are not as noisy as one might think and certainly no worse than the old one, though the noise will be different. The majority of noise is caused by the blower. I just serviced an 80% basic furnace we installed 2 years ago where the customer sits about 5 feet from the louvered furnace closet door and she was amazed at how much quieter the new furnace was compared to her old one. If the unit is going into a closet that forms a barrier between you and the furnace, you'll have nothing to be concerned over.

If you want an 80% furnace that is quieter than Carrier, you might want to check into the Armstrong Ultra Series furnaces. (Armstrong has been around since the 30's, they have an enclosed combustion blower motor, a better warranty, a more reliable ignition system and are cheaper too in most areas )

Old 05-10-03, 11:49 AM
blower

We have sometimes lined the blower part of a gas furnace with duct board and this sure helps out on the noise ED

Old 05-10-03, 04:00 PM
Thats a great idea Ed. Lining the blower cabinet and the return drop would probably make a world of difference.

Old 05-10-03, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all of the great comments/ideas. This site is an incredible resource! By the way, the 2 different brands we're looking at are Coleman & Luxaire...any opinions? From what I'm reading, I think we'll go with the 80% and address any noise issues if they arise. I think I'd rather deal with some noise than maintenace problems.

Thanks again for all the help,
Ann