Moving from downdraft to updraft

Old 05-09-03, 11:23 AM
paud
Visiting Guest
Moving from downdraft to updraft

My central A/C and furnance are 30+ years old, and are really need to be replace, however, my duct work in the foundation fills up with water from time to time, so want to change move my air supplies from the floor to the attic.
I have had various estimates, and most of them are saying that my return air can stay in the attic as well, they of course will move it but don't suggest it.
Is this the right way for this kind of system?
I thought that if my supply was in the attic return has to be floor level.
I have 8' ceilings in NE Ok with about 1300 sq' of living space.

Old 05-09-03, 11:31 AM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
I'm having a similar problem. Here's the story on my situation. Maybe it will contain some replies that help you out. It's long but worth the read.

Go here.

Old 05-13-03, 09:03 PM
paud
Visiting Guest
Filling in slab duct work

I am moving from downdraft to updraft, I am having a contractor put in the new unit and run the duct work, but wanted to try and fill in my existing ducts myself.
What would be required to fill them in, my plan was to just pour in sand and then top off with concrete.
A neighbor, just said stuff newspaper down the vents and top off with concrete?
Can I do this myself, or should I have someone else do it?

Also, I am worried that all the water that has flowed through my vents might have damaged my foundation.

Old 05-14-03, 07:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is your home on a poured cement slab, or is up on a crawlspace with a wood fudation??

Old 05-14-03, 08:05 AM
paud
Visiting Guest
It is on a slab.
The heating and air contractor now told me they will fill in the duct work but leave enough space to put the vents back on, so that the carpet won't look to stupid.
Then I can go ahead and top it off when I replace the carpet.

I would like to have any opions on how it should be filled in, just to compare with what they do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: