packaged heat pump in attic

Old 05-09-03, 11:43 AM
ratboy69
Visiting Guest
packaged heat pump in attic

To the pros: Rather than split heat pump installs why not just install packaged heat pumps in attics like the old GE heat pumps used to be. They lasted for years with very few problems. No runnin' linesets and keep the torches in the truck! Am I missing something here? Seems like the installs would be quicker with less to go wrong. ---Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-03, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heat pumps

Do you mean the old water heat exchanger GE???? ED

Old 05-09-03, 01:42 PM
ratboy69
Visiting Guest
Ed, I was under the impression that they were residential air-to-air heat pumps but I could be wrong. At any rate, throw the 300-400 lbs monster in the garage attic with some block and tackle and your good to go. Comments, opinions criticisms certainly welcomed. ---Bill

Old 05-09-03, 04:56 PM
i remember those.....

stove packs, or something like that...gosh i am getting old!! vibration, noise and the need for a large roof penetration for condenser air exaust killed that idea.

Old 05-09-03, 08:39 PM
ratboy69
Visiting Guest
Many homes built in the 60s and 70s in Florida had the packaged heat pump GE units installed in the the garaged attics and worked very well. Noise and vibration? -- who cared as it was isolated to the garage area. With continuous soffit ventilation combined with a gabled attic fan on pitched white tiled roofs why even vent the heat pump exhaust air out the roof? One unit, 1 circuit breaker , no brazing or lineset, and supply and return plenums on one side--- really a no brainer! Can it get any easier I ask? I think I'm on to something here... ---Bill

Old 05-10-03, 01:26 AM
tammi ann
Visiting Guest
we have a building here that has several large package units in the attic but the attic is huge and the gables are louvered.

Old 05-10-03, 03:01 AM
They don't make a package unit anymore that you can put into the attic.

Williamson used to make such unit as well.

Lot has to do with size, noise, and ect for it not being made anymore.. When you do have an attic, you going to have a harder time getting a new replacement unit up into the attic since roof is on, and ceiling finshed off..

New air handler are lighter, and smaller to work with and chances of the torch setting your house on fire is very very slim to nothing, unless the installer is not doing it's job right

You could have a roof top unit installed if you don't want the line sets, sodering... condesor unit on the ground pad... and ect..

I've been over in AZ, and NV, and seen alot of homes with roof tops on it.. To me... I think that an eye sore!!!!!!! I've not seen a home here with a roof top unit on it's roof

Old 05-10-03, 04:26 AM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
you call this a no brainer...let's see...

Working platform to be built (got to be able to replace the components and service the damn thing), roof trussing to be designed for accomodating the unit (can't have recirculation of condenser air or the thing falling through the ceiling, now can we?), required secondary drain pans (just in case it leaks or the primary drain plugs up), not to mention limitations on type of insulations that can be used (wouldn't be prudent for the fan to be sucking in the loose stuff), addition of larger attic ventilation fans (must get that air out of the attic), required openings needed for equipment replacement (there are units that won't start up the first time or have been mislabeled on the assembly line) then add the increased maintenance costs for the time it takes to service attic units (homeowners don't want to pay for maintenance now as it is and many service companies are shortcutting procedures to keep costs down so they can keep their customers, so breakdowns are becoming more and more frequent)...no brainer?

...there's the future of the idea...redesigning packaged units for the attic (in case the idea takes off), re-tooling assembly lines (new designs which are standardized), changing code requirements for weight load factors, type of construction, electrical, plumbing, noise--yes noise is part of indoor air quality--etc., on all local and national levels (even though most changes would be minor, governments and consumers alike will love this), all of which add to the cost of installation...no brainer?

And this is just a small example of what goes on behind the scenes of unit placement. On the surface it sounds like a simple idea and it would be more efficient in the long run, but when you really consider all the "little" factors of cause and effect...it is a no brainer...it's not as easy as it appears, which is why it isn't being done!

Old 05-10-03, 04:41 PM
outstanding post!!

excellent assessment of the situation, firsthvac you are truly a pro