frozen central AC

Old 05-10-03, 10:03 AM
skskreed
Visiting Guest
Unhappy frozen central AC

When I first turn on the Central AC it seems to be doing fine. After an hour or so it quites blowing air from the ducts. When I opened the Central air up, the board thing (is this the coil) that gets cold is frozen up. It starts out just being frosted but than it becomes frozen though out and than air does not flow though it. I can access this board (coil) easily if it needs to be clean. It is right inside the panel that comes off.

Anything that can be done to fix this without calling in a repair person. I just had alot of repair parts but on last summer so most things are new except this board thing that gets cold.

Thanks for your help!

Karen

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

If your filters are clean and you say you do have air to start. Call a HVAC tech now you sound like your low on freon. ED

Old 05-10-03, 10:44 AM
skskreed
Visiting Guest
I had the AC serviced at the end of last summer with some work done on it and the freon was fine no leaks and it didn't need any added.

I just looked a closer at this coil board (?) the under side of this is covered in a layer of lint. Who ever built this house vented the dryer next to the Central air and a 7 foot hose from the dryer to the outside runs next to it. So I am assuming this is lent from the dryer. what is the best way to clean this off? can I just poor water through the coil? It is on a concret slab floor so it wouldn't matter if it gets wet.

Thanks again for any help on this

Karen

(I am very good at home repair work plumbing and wiring, so I am not afraid to work with it)

Old 05-10-03, 11:26 AM
A/C

Is this the inside A coil or is it the outside condenser coil that has the lint on it. If its the outside coil. Turn the power off to it. pull the top off and get a water hose and flush it out good. if its the inside A coil if you can get at it there is a fin comb that you can get that will clean it out dry. Then wash it down with a coil cleaner.Get that dryer vent away from this unit some how. Dont forget turn the power off ED

Old 05-10-03, 11:34 AM
skskreed
Visiting Guest
It is the inside coil. It is an old system about 20 years old but still running great and energy costs are not high. So we haven't replaced it yet since it has only need very minor repair parts done on it. But I do think the lint from the dryer is causing the problem. But I can not figure out how to move the dryer or the central air unit without a major renovation done on the house. I was worried about putting amy liquid on the coil without finding out if it was okay to do so.

I just wanted to find out if having this lint layer on the under side of the coil would make it freeze up or if it could be something else wrong.

Thanks for your advice.

Karen

Old 05-10-03, 12:43 PM
COIL

Yes if this is the inside A coil and the lint has it so no air can get through it will freeze up.You have got to get it clean so air can get through it. Old units, I know of one thats 39 years old and run like a top. Cant you run the dryer hose out a window???? Get the lint off then if it still freezes call a HVAC tech your low on freon
ED

Old 05-10-03, 02:15 PM
tammi ann
Visiting Guest
Use a vacuum cleaner and an old hairbrush to remove as much lint as possible then take some heavy duty cleaner like simple green and use a spray bottle to sparay the cleaner onto the coil on both the top and the bottom. If there is a layer of lint on the coil there will also be particles in between the coil fins...might be pretty deep and might need quite a few applications....vacuuming etc.