Hampton Bay Window AC Units?

Old 05-14-03, 05:27 PM
whyohwhyoh
Visiting Guest
Hampton Bay Window AC Units?

It's getting near summer time, and I plan on installing a window AC unit. Currently we have no air conditioning, we live in Santa Clara County California.

Home Depot carries a brand called Hampton Bay, about $380 for a 14,500 BTU unit (Energy Star) with remote. My 1955 home is 1120 ft^2, and the area it will be cooling is about 700 ft^2.

I will be installing it through an exterior wall, up high on the ceiling, about 8 feet from the floor, we have a sloped ceiling. Unit will be installed in upper right hand side of far window, see attached photo. Replacing the small house fan.

Anyone have any recommendations? All I really care about is noise, yet no one seems to rate the sound level of these things even within the same brand, except that newer ones are much quieter than old ones. I plan on building an isolated frame.

Central air was quoted at around $4k. So I think I'll pass. I can do a ton of home improvements with $4k.

--
whyohwhyoh

Old 05-15-03, 07:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i would

use rubber pads under and around the unit to reduce vibration, be sure it is supported properly, and pitched for good drainage. you may want to run a drain on it, be sure electrical is to code. good luck!

Old 05-15-03, 04:21 PM
Here you go

Normally the more BTU's the louder the unit so don't buy more A/C than you need.
You may be better off with 2 smaller units (depending on installation issues)
Normally there are 3 case sizes
1: small 5000 to 10000 BTU
2: medium 10000 to 15000 BTU
3: large 15000 and up
If you have 2 units with the same BTU's normally the one with the larger "case" will be queiter due to lower air velocities.
Try to buy the Smallest BTU in that "case" size.
In your case get the "large" case 15000 btu instead of the meduim case 15000 BTU.
Normally A/C manufactures use one case for a rang of sizes cramming in more airflow and BTU's as they get larger.
I have found Fridgedaire to be a well made quiet A/C, Whirlpools have been noisy.
The Hapton Bay I'm sure is made by someone (not sure who)
Try to see if you can plug them up and listen to how loaud the fans are BEFORE purchase.
For your installation a slide out chassis would be a VERY good idea
Hope all of this makes sense.

Old 05-15-03, 04:51 PM
I work at Home Depot, We carried the Hampton Bay and Maytag in our store last year, this year, it's all Maytag.. I brought us the Maytag 5k unit since SEER rating was better, and been very happy with it in our bedroom.

Anyway, we had no complaint on the Hampton Bay A/C window unit. I agree with the two guys that already replied to you ? here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: