Radiators - Steam Heat

Old 05-17-03, 12:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Radiators - Steam Heat

We live in a house that was built in 1915. Radiators are in most of the rooms. The radiator that I am most concerned with is in our kitchen. It's height is taller than our counter so we are losing precious counter space. I would like to replace the radiator with a shorter version. My question is: where can I purchase these in the United States? and; what is involved with the replacement?

Pam Haight
Old 05-17-03, 01:14 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,500
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts

Rads can be had at plumbing and heating wholesales. They are not normally an item that can be purchased at the retail level due to their specialised nature.
If you persist you may be able to buy one yourself but would need to know what to ask for.
The unit would be piped in with iron pipe and you would need to be able to thread pipe to be able to replace it.
If you plan to build a counter over the replacement rad you may alter the air flow pattern and affect the heating of that room.
A small fan forced steam unit heater that can be built in might be what you need.

Probably a job best left to a steamfitter.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: