locate freon leak

Old 05-20-03, 08:51 AM
lilinhai
Visiting Guest
locate freon leak

I have a Trane central unit. Freon leaks even in the Winter.
Freon stops circulating when it doesn't run. Can we at least exclude some part of system for the possible leaking?

Also two pipes connect outdoor and indoor unit, one is thicker.
Which one is flowing the liquid and which one is the gas?

Old 05-20-03, 09:12 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
One of the most common places for a leak on residential systems is the indoor coil. The bottom of the coil usually sits in the drain pan and corrosion takes its toll over time. That said, the leak could be anywhere, but on systems with any age on them, the indoor coil is the first place I start looking. The outdoor coils on Trane units are usually pretty good about NOT leaking. Don't discount the idea that someone is huffing the Freon. Are the seal caps on the fittings at the outdoor unit intact? How quickly does the charge run down? The larger pipe is the vapor or gas line and the smaller one is the liquid line. Makes sense when you think about it. For a given volume, a gas would occupy more space than a liquid.

Old 05-20-03, 09:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Freon leak

It wont say where it is. You have to look for the leak. But an old old rule was . If it went low on freon in the winter. Look first on the suction side or the big line. If it went low while it ran look on the liquid side thats the little line. Anyway go in with a good electronic leak detector. Like john said it can be at a schrader valves the stem or the cap not on right. Or down here the kids sniff it . ED

Old 05-25-03, 07:16 AM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
Although not as good as a electronic detector, use soapy water. It will bubble on the liquid or suction line.Also look for signs of refrigerant oil, if you have leak usualy the copper will be darker in color and oily. Most common places I have found are the sweat joints from poor intstalation or a"cold"sweat joint where the joint was not properly heated. Also ckeck the schrader valves in the service ports, these are very easily damaged.

Old 05-25-03, 08:53 PM
H
Thumbs down a waste of time

Don't bother....it's like the proverial dog that chases the car, what will he do when he catches it???? If you find the leak, then what......you can't fix it!
Hire a licenced tech to locate the leak and repair it.

Old 05-26-03, 09:31 PM
lilinhai
Visiting Guest
Thank you guys for the useful info. I had the evap coil replaced last year. This year I had two contractors searched the leak. They used both electric detector (with high setting) and soap water, but couldn't find it. Now I found a tiny hole in a welding joint on the smaller line outdoors, a place they have missed, it doesn't cause bubble though. Because the hole is so tiny, I applied Super Glue Gel to fix it. I am not sure if it is a good idea. I also want to make sure that I understand the freon flow correctly. Is the freon comes out from container get into the liquid line and get into the evap coil and then get into sunction line? Is there a valve before the evap coil? If so, is the valve shut when the a/c is off. If the above is true and the leak exists when the a/c is off, the leak should be before the valve?

Old 05-27-03, 10:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
LEAKS

If you had two techs look for leaks here and they didnt look out side at the high side of the unit I think I would get another tech to have a look at this.If you did find the hole and it was a leak,you should have gotten bubbles.If this is the leak you just made it harder for a tech to fix it by putting that junk on it.Now when the unit is off or running if you have a leak it will leak out valve or not big line---suction or little line ----liquid.If you want to understand A/C freon think about water at the indoor coil you heat it and the water goes to steam then out side where you cool it and have water again to send back to the inside coil where it gets heat and turns to steam again.This is how the freon works from gas to liquid and back to gas over and over ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: