Return air vent location in basement?

Old 05-26-03, 06:50 PM
Pat99
Visiting Guest
Question Return air vent location in basement?

Hello, I am in the process of framing in my basement and was wondering about location of the return air vent. Both cold/warm air ducts run together the length of my room. The warm air vent is tapped on the top of the duct and runs over the cold air duct and terminates on ceiling in from of my basement window, accross the room. Can I just tap a hole into the return air duct to create a vent where it is, or, do I "have" to run an expanded duct down to the floor where the vent will be, thus, having hot/cold air vent at top and return air on bottom.

What are the pros/cons to having the warm/cold air vents at top on opposite sides of room and having the return vent on ceiling as well? One problem I could see is in the winter when warm air pushes out to the vent, heat rises of course, and the return vent at top just pulls it accross the room without pulling it down to the floor. No warm air on lower half of room? The room will be roughly 13 x 17 or so.

Thank you, Pat

Old 05-31-03, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Pat:

My preference would be to put the supply registers at floor level to keep the floor warmer during heating season.
Returns at ceiling would be ok.

You have to be carefull when installing reurn air grills in a basement with a standard gas furnace. It is possible to create a negative pressure in the bsmt and cause a backdraft in the chimney.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: