New A/C

Old 06-03-03, 10:27 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New A/C

I am currently getting quotes for a replacement outdoor A/C unit and wanted to be sure I get one that uses a refrigerant that is not currently scheduled to be phased out.

IIRC, the history cycle goes R-12 ($$$$$ - phased out), R-22 ($$ and phasing out), and the current one (whose R # I can't remember). Is this correct?

I notice that Carrier has stuck the "Puron" brand on their refrigerant. Any ideas what R this is? Is it current and not being phased out? Rather not get an expensive surprise in the near future.

While I'm at it, I believe that the higher the SEER the better. Is this correct?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-03, 12:13 PM
new a/c

yes, higher the SEER higher the efficiency. the new refrigerant is r410A. I see no problems with you sticking with r22, as the phase out will be at or after the life of your new unit. i believe they will produce r22 until 2020 or so, phasing out 10 seer soon, then i believe no r22 units produced after 2015. not exactly sure, but you are safe going with r22, are you changing the indoor coil as well? may need to to get proper SEER out of new a/c. that being said, i am a BIG fan of R410A. i now have 2 of the 3 systems in my house running that refrigerant, and the humidity removal (when matched with a VS blower) is incredible.

Old 06-03-03, 12:41 PM
New A/C

Didnt say where you are. If you have a long time run on the A/C there you could look for a hot water recovery unit to go on the A/C .This will give you free hot water and also kick up the seer some on your unit . ED

Old 06-05-03, 10:30 AM
P
Thanks for the info. The A-coil is being replaced as part of the job - most quotes specified it, and those that said I could make do went in the reject pile. Those that insisted it be replaced along with the A/C seemed to be more knowledgable than those that didn't (who seemed like they just wanted to fill their job book up). Anyway, I'd rather do it right than cheap (and end up paying for it later anyway).

The hot water recovery is an interesting option - don't know if it is worth it for me though. Located in Toronto; only use A/C for about 3-4 months a year.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 06-06-03, 03:22 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
May I ask what price range your quotes are in? I am looking at 3 ton Trane units.