taco flow regulator

Old 06-03-03, 01:10 PM
gdmcfayden
Visiting Guest
taco flow regulator

I have a gas fired boiler approx 40 years old. It provides hot water for baseboard heat and also has a coil for instant hot water heating. The cold inlet to the hot water coil has a taco flow regulator that is inline and measures about 1" dia X 2" long. It has 4 gal per minute on the side of the valve. It is defective and will not let the water thru. I have been unable to locate a replacement and I am not sure of the purpose of this valve. The man at the plumbing supply house said I may be able to just remove it, since it is not a pressure regulator. I thought maybe it was to slow down the incoming cold water to allow the coils to heat it as it passes thru. They had some kind of "accu check valve"? at the supply house, but it cost $55 and they weren't sure if it would serve the same purpose as the original. Would I be able to just remove the regulator?

Old 06-04-03, 06:29 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
The coil can only heat so much water per minute, and the flow restrictor is there to keep you from trying to heat more than it can, which would result in only warm, not hot water.

You can remove it and see what happens. Maybe all you need to do is remove it and clean it (if possible).

Old 06-04-03, 07:06 AM
gdmcfayden
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Brewbeer
The coil can only heat so much water per minute, and the flow restrictor is there to keep you from trying to heat more than it can, which would result in only warm, not hot water.

You can remove it and see what happens. Maybe all you need to do is remove it and clean it (if possible).
Thanks for your input. I removed the valve and it has about a 1/8th inch hole in the center for the water to pass thru. I cleaned it, but it had a crack in the side of the housing which leaked so I couldn't use it. Instead I installed a regular shut off valve and just cracked it open slightly. This works at least temporarly until I can locate a restrictor. Apparently taco doesn't make them any more. Any ideas on where I could locate the restrictor?

Old 06-04-03, 07:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your plumbing supply house is a little short on information. I think all counterpeople need 5 years in the trade before going behind the counter.

A flow restrictor does as brewbeer says. It limits the flow of water through the hot water coil. All coils have a rating and it is usually exceeded by a house with high water pressure. The restrictor is just an small orifice to meter water but is only marginally accurate because different pressures will affect the flow also. In any case, you can remove it altogether or install an adjustable flow restrictor. The WATTS P-3 is my preferred choice. It has 3 different orifices and all you need to do is loosen a packing nut and rotate the stem to a different one if you need to change it. Also if it becomes clogged, you can disassemble it for cleaning. It is only about $15.
Good Luck

Ken

Old 06-04-03, 07:24 AM
gdmcfayden
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by KField
Your plumbing supply house is a little short on information. I think all counterpeople need 5 years in the trade before going behind the counter.

A flow restrictor does as brewbeer says. It limits the flow of water through the hot water coil. All coils have a rating and it is usually exceeded by a house with high water pressure. The restrictor is just an small orifice to meter water but is only marginally accurate because different pressures will affect the flow also. In any case, you can remove it altogether or install an adjustable flow restrictor. The WATTS P-3 is my preferred choice. It has 3 different orifices and all you need to do is loosen a packing nut and rotate the stem to a different one if you need to change it. Also if it becomes clogged, you can disassemble it for cleaning. It is only about $15.
Good Luck

Ken
Hey that sounds like just what I need! Price is reasonable too. Thanks for the info. Will definately check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: