Changing air vents from floor to ceiling

Old 06-04-03, 12:06 PM
randalg
Visiting Guest
Question Changing air vents from floor to ceiling

I have a cape cod loft style house, about 1700 sq. ft. The loft and bedroom are 8ft ceilings. The loft has two vents in the ceiling and the bedroom has 1 vent in the floor. The bathroom has 1 vent. I would like to know if I can run 2 duct lines in the ceiling of the bedroom and remove or cap off the floor line? The unit is upstairs behind the knee wall in the bedroom. The return is on the wall going downstairs, outside the bedroom. I could run the flex line up the short angle wall above the knee wall. If you have to remove insulation to install lines, do you need to put any insulation back between the rafters if you use insulated duct lines? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
randalg:

I can't really comment on the changes you are asking about as there are too many unseen variables. This is best dealt with by having someone come to estimate this for you.
The insulation question is easy though.
You must replace the insulation value you remove. You cannot take the value of the insulation you remove and replace it with the duct insulation.
You have to figure out a way of replacing it.