Fan won't stop running

Old 06-05-03, 12:16 PM
jfehl
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Fan won't stop running

I woke up freezing in the middle of the night. I went in to adjust the setting on the thermostat, but nothing would stop the fan. I heard the AC click off, but the fan kept going. I finally had to go outside and turn it off at the breaker. There was water around the base of the unit. This is a Carrier. The house is about 5 years old, and I'm sure it's been there since the house was built. I've been her a little over 2 years with no problems. Any ideas? Am I going to have to rob a bank to have the thing fixed? HELP !

Old 06-05-03, 04:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't tell you whether to go rob a bank but if you do, it will probably get hotter than it is in your house without a/c.

You need to determine what units are running continuously. Indoor, outdoor, or both. If the indoor fan runs, it won't provide cooling, only air circulation. If they both run, the next question is, is the thermostat making them run?

Try to provide more info. None of the symptoms sound like an expensive fix.

Ken

Old 06-06-03, 05:49 PM
jfehl
Visiting Guest
fan still running-more info

OK...I really know nothing about this type of stuff, but here goes. The outside fan is definitely running. Inside fan is also running. The air is definitely being cooled. If I raise the temp, I hear the familiar click of the ac turning off, but the fans continue to run. Even if I turn the fan switch to off, it continues to run....or they both do. The only way that I can get them both to stop running is to turn them off with the switch that is beside the outdoor unit. Today, the unit was off all day long. I walked around the house about 4 pm. There was still wetness at the base of the unit. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-06-03, 10:10 PM
jfehl
Visiting Guest
Red face Boy, is my face RED!

I have solved the problem. I live in a 2 story house. There is a separate thermostat for the upstairs. I rarely go up there, so I keep the AC set on 80 and the heat set on 55. My 8 year old went up there to find the cat one day last week. It was hot up there, so he set the AC on 50. I had no idea! He mentioned it to me this afternoon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: