Window A/C question

Old 06-05-03, 04:10 PM
kathey
Visiting Guest
Window A/C question

Hi
I'm moving into my "new" house in about 2 weeks!!!!!!!! (ok it's actually a 90 year old fixer-upper!)
I have Multiple Sclerosis, which is very very adversely affected by heat, so putting in air conditioning will be my first priority.
The first floor of the house is about 1000 square feet, and I was thinking of getting 2 window a/c units...a 5000BTU for my bedroom and a 10,000BTU for the living room/kitchen/dining room. (I'll probably get a 5000BTU for my son's bedroom upstairs too)

I'm a little worried about installing these myself (ok, be a chauvinist, but I'm really a girlie-girl, not to mention disabled!) Is it always necessary to brace the units outside the windows?

I can't afford to have Central Air installed...so this is the best I am going to be able to do for now. Besides measuring the window openings, is there some other trick I should know about to be sure that I get the right size that will be "easy" to install???

THANKS SO SO much!!!
Kathey

Old 06-05-03, 06:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sizing sounds good for the units.. The smaller units, you will be able to get by with out using bracing, unless the windows are not in good shape to help support the weight of the unit...

Being that your home is an older home. Is it on fuse, or is the electrial been updated, and has a breaker system?

Check the fuse size for the outlet your going to use for the A/C to make sure it wil be able to handel the laod of the a/c unit.

I would suggest to get someone to help you install these units in the window. Is your son older?? Other wise, i am sure your new neighbor would be more than happy to help you! (Good chance to get to know them!)

Old 06-05-03, 09:16 PM
kathey
Visiting Guest
thanks Jay
Actually that's one of the other things I'm going to have to look into, there is a breaker box, but the real estate agent mentioned that the amps were small (?????)
Well, this will be a learning experience for me, that's for sure!

My son is 20, but unfortunately he's been raised by a single mom, so he knows only what I do about this sort of thing!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: