Condensor fan cycling on/of

Old 06-07-03, 11:40 PM
dlradman
Visiting Guest
Question Condensor fan cycling on/of

My condensor fan is cycling on/off. Had this problem last month and checked all connections and it went away. It started this time every once in a while and is getting worse. What is the most
likely cause, I have checked all connections on my thermostat and
for loose connections and voltages at the roof-top unit. Is it my fan relay or could it be something else. Need some troubleshooting help, Thanks for any ideas.

Old 06-08-03, 08:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is the compressor going off too? or just the fan? will have to look for where we are losing voltage, do you have a meter?

Old 06-09-03, 05:11 AM
dlradman
Visiting Guest
Compressor runs

The compressor continues to run. Sunday, all day, unit ran fine.
About dusk the fan motor started kicking out again and when I turned to on this morning it continue to kick on/off. Checked all
connections to the thermotstat and tightened. Have not gone back on the roof yet. Last time this happened I checked all connections at unit, found a wire from the contactor melted partially to the transformer, not to the wire though, all other connections appear good. Can the controls be checked, don't want to just start replacing parts.

Old 06-09-03, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
typically

the condenser fan motor wires come off the top of the contactor, and once the low voltage pulls in the contacts both it and the compressor start. is the motor getting hot? it sounds like either the motor, capacitor, or a loose wire.

Old 06-09-03, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
FAN

Id say snap a amprobe on that fan motor and see what it draws that will tell you if you have to get a new one ED

Old 06-09-03, 01:22 PM
Thomas W.
Visiting Guest
Your fan motor is over heating ( over amping the unit is probably over 6 years old correct?), replace the motor before it causes your compressor to overheat and fail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: