gas water heater for above ground pool keeps cycling on and off

Old 06-09-03, 05:18 PM
bwmaslar
Visiting Guest
Unhappy gas water heater for above ground pool keeps cycling on and off

I have an above ground pool with a pentair minimax 100 water heater.

The pilot stays lit, but the burner comes on and burns for 1/2 to a couple of minutes, then shuts off. After a couple of minutes it does the same thing over and over again. When the burner is burning it has a nice blue strong flame.

The unit has an on / switch which is set to on.
The pilot stays lit, there is a temperature control knob, which is currently set on high. If you turn the knob from the low setting to the high setting you can hear / feel it click on.

The unit does have a transformer, hi-limit switch, safety shut off a "press" switch, thermal curtoff

any thoughts on what the porblem could be or what the problem is not, at least to help start to eliminate parts.

Old 06-10-03, 04:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sound like

a limit is taking it out, then cooling off and coming back on. check your water flow, etc. i would say transformer is good, the problem is probably that your safeties are detecting a problem

Old 06-10-03, 05:27 AM
Thomas W.
Visiting Guest
That unit has a water pressure sensor that many times have to be adjusted. When you open the front cover you should see a white control systen that has a small 1/4" line going to it on this there is usually a small dial . First on that dial there can be a small red mark sometimes glue that's OK , Turn that knob just a little.

To check turn off pool pump and see how long before the burner goes out, it should only take about 10 seconds. If it takes longer adjust that knob I believe most will turn counterclockwise.

If it doesn't work you can unscrew that 1/4" line and clean out, as sometimes stuff gets in there causing it to not sense correctly.

Old 06-10-03, 04:42 PM
bwmaslar
Visiting Guest
Cool Thanks I will give that a try tomorrow - eom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: