Whole House Fan shuts off??

Old 06-12-03, 07:39 PM
rfthomp
Visiting Guest
Whole House Fan shuts off??

I have a Whole house fan that shuts off after about 15 minutes. Waiting about 10 minutes, shutting the fan switch off, then on restarts the whole house fan. Sounds like something is overheating. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 06-13-03, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
check the motor

for oil ports, the bearings may be heating up and tripping the overload. does it have a capacitor?

Old 06-13-03, 12:06 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
definately over heating. mine did that and burned out the low speed. and even tho i oiled the bearings and cleaned the motor it eventually burned out completely. now, i'm looking for a 2 speed replacement motor...............

Old 06-13-03, 04:27 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
As HVAC4U alluded to it is most likely the IFM capacitor. In a nut shell what happens when a capacitot is bad is the fan motor overheats and shuts off. After it cools down it will run again for 5 to 10 minutes and shut down again. I would pull the capacitor and take it to a supply house, see if they test it, and get a new one. Be for warned a lot of the supply houses will not do business with an unlicensed person.

Old 06-28-03, 05:48 PM
rfthomp
Visiting Guest
Cool Thanks for feedback

I did not think of oiling the fan, duh! Also, the capacitor sounds like a good idea. I just thought the capacitor handled the initial surge/spike when the fan was turned on. Good suggestions, I'll try them all. Thanks alot for the help!! 8-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: