dampness dehumidifiers

Old 06-12-03, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dampness dehumidifiers

Hi I live in NE Penn. humidity has always been a problem in my basement. I currently have a dehumidifier (about 2 yrs old)but it throws off so much heat, I think its contributing to moisture problem and make the basement to uncomfortable to use.

I've heard of dehumifying "chemicals" and wondered if they work?

Also my basement has no ventilation as its very old (possibly cinder) construction with no windows. The exterior of home is stone so installing a window would be difficult if not impossible.

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-03, 08:14 AM
not being able to ventilate the space really limits your choices. possibly get a waterproofing guy out there to recommend ways to keep the humidity out, such as sealing the walls and floors. i would run the humidifier, it seems to be your best option right now. the key is to keep the humidity out, not just removing it from the space.

Old 06-13-03, 10:14 AM
Humidity

Look up at http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00107.asp

Might give you some way to go like hvac4u said

On the chemical ones yes they do work some but not for what you want ED

Old 06-13-03, 10:53 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
the temperature changes up north do pose a humidity problem in basements. i never open a window in mine, and i keep the door shut all the time. the dehumidifier runs 24/7 except during the winter when the air is dry. when the outside temps rise in the spring and the ground is still cool, you'll get humidity in your basement. you have to run a dehumidifier.
are your walls waterproofed? there are several products that you can apply to waterprooof them. this helps keep the humidity down. is your dehumidifier near any water sources such as a sump pump? it will "sense" that water and keep recycling the same moisture and not dry out the furthest part of the basement.
the heat from the unit should not generate more humidity...just let it run and do it's thing. the air blowing out of it is dry air.

Old 06-13-03, 11:34 AM
dampness/dehumidifiers

Thanks for suggestions, we have no problem with water leaking into basement, would applying waterproofing material help?

Old 06-13-03, 01:07 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
always, but as i stated due to the temperature changes, you'll still get some humidity in the basement. a product called "Thorough-seal" is available and you paint it on the walls. it comes in several different applications so you'll have to see what's best for you.

it's important to keep the basement as dry as possible. dry air prevents mold and mildew from growing and any odors associated with it. it also keeps the wood framing in good shape and it's healthier for you.