Air - Conditioner Not Cold

Old 06-13-03, 08:14 AM
GorillaHawk
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Air - Conditioner Not Cold

We kicked on the air-conditioner finally, but the compressor fan is not working outside and the air is not getting cold. I traced the wires and retaped one that has previously been severed and I cannot ge the fan to kick on. (That is on the outside compressor unit.) Does anyone know what I can check or do I need to call a repairman out?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-03, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no fan

using a meter, determine if voltage is present at the motor. will it run if you spin it off? does it spin freely? any burnt smell? the capacitor could be your problem. see previous posts as to checking this part.

Old 06-13-03, 03:13 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
Gorilla hawk, The first thing your repair man is going to do is check to see if the contactor coil has voltage. If you do not know how to do this, I would be hesitant to tell you any more. The AC is powered by 220 volts and can be very dangerous to the uninformed. You may want to contact a local AC school and see if they are interested in checking it out for you. Sometimes they will use your unit as a training excercise, but may take a while to come out. Your best advice is call a "pro" if you have no experience with electrical.