Fan Not Working

Old 06-13-03, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fan Not Working

My fan for the unit outside had been working fine and not it hsa stopped running. I checked the circuit breaker, made sure the filter is clean and don't see any wires loose. When I hit the box outside to turn it on and off its like there is no power to it. So what am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-03, 02:27 PM
Thomas W.
Visiting Guest
Check the breaker firest. But if it is tripped be careful as it could spark if the unit has a shorted compressor, So if you find it tripped make sure the unit is off and look away from the breaker before flipping back to on.

If it trips again you more than likely have a bvad compressor.

2nd. Check the small wires going to the outside unit they may have come lose. If you have a dog that happens.
Be careful not to touch those two wires inside the casing together or you will short out the transformer. It is only low voltage so not bad,

Old 06-13-03, 02:28 PM
A/C

Did you read the #1 post here we do need info info info to try and help you. Did the compressor come on . the relay pull in. the tstat work, the transformer ok. ED

Old 06-17-03, 08:06 PM
Talking

Thanks for all your help and info. After checking all the wiring, inspecting the filter and testing the compacitor and thermostat, I found out my problem was a blown fuse in the box for the fan. A $2.00 fix! Sometimes the hardest problem has the simplest solution.

Old 06-18-03, 04:41 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The box you're refering to is the disconnect switch box for the outdoor unit- correct? Look at the data plate on the outdoor unit, it will say maximum fuse size or might say MOCP. Put in a fuse that size, not larger. Now, a word about fuses. The motors in your a/c unit draw a large current when they first start and then that current tapers off to the running current. For this reason, you use DUAL ELEMENT TIME DELAY type fuse. It will withstand the starting currents without blowing. If you put in a ONE-TIME fuse, you'll keep blowing fuses.