Lack Of Cooling After Cap/fan Replaced

Old 06-18-03, 01:57 PM
hybrids
Visiting Guest
Question Lack Of Cooling After Cap/fan Replaced

I HAVE 20 YR OLD SINGER C/H/A UNIT. The unit was recharged less than 1 yr ago, 1st time in many years, has been working fine.
I t has a delay start unit on it. The unit wasn't working, the fan wouldn't come on and not cooling even though unit inside appeared to be working, not cooling. I replaced the Fan motor and Cap, had both tested and they were bad. Opened the motor, some of the metal rifelings on the winding were cracked or crushed, not in line with others.
Reinstalled everything, turned it on and everything seemed to be working. The outside line was getting cold, as well, as the line inside, along with the other line being hot. Hot air was cominf out of the fan motor, heat from the compressor. The compressor had lots of condensation on it, top was cold.
After several hours it still isn't cooling like it should, almost like it needed freon. I have replaced relays and thermostats on it before, haven't done anything to the relay on the outside unit.
I have hand sketches of the wiring, both inside and out.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks Phil

Old 06-18-03, 03:20 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
You still have condensation all over the compressor? Usually a sign of improper charge or poor heat exchange/low airflow on the indoor coil. BTW- they only need a refrigerant charge if the refrigerant leaks out. That means you have a leak or there is another problem and the guy thought it needed refrigerant.

Old 06-18-03, 03:47 PM
hybrids
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down LOW CHARGE/POOR AIR FLOW

Thanks BigJohn
It took a couple of pounds when charged and seemed to fix the problem 10 months ago, has worked fine since, till this fan problem. I have had problems with these people changing air filters, coils haven't been cleaned in many years, this could definitely be part of the problem.
What method and cleaning agent is best to use on the inside coils?
When I replaced the fan motor, I realized the blade is not down as low as it previously had been, could this effect performance of cooling? When I saw the condensation on the compressor, the rear cover was not installed, which would have effected the air flow to the compressor. I haven't checked it since I closed up the unit.
I still think there is a problem other than the air flow?
Another concern I have, that maybe caused the fan to burn out, was renters connecting another small window AC unit to the same breaker as the main AC. I just found this out and have concerns that it could be starving my main system, low voltage, etc? Any thoughts or concerns on this?
Appreciate any and all input on this matter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: