Heat pump problem

Old 06-18-03, 12:50 PM
candlelite5
Visiting Guest
Heat pump problem

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone out there can help me, I called a repairman because my a/c was not working (I have a heat pump) and he fixed the problem but it seems to me it cost an awful lot and I have a feeling I got ripped off. Does anyone have any idea how much it should be for freon and a boost kit for a heat pump? I also bought the service agreement in case anything happens in the future but I thought it would be less for the kit and the freon, it took them about a half an hour to do all the work. Thanks and I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-03, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC cost

You didnt say what the cost was and what is your location.For some one here to help you. Why did they say you need a starter kit? How old is this heat pump? Need INFO then we can try and help. What and how long on the service agreement? ED

Old 06-18-03, 01:15 PM
candlelite5
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I wasn't sure what info to give so I will try to explain more. The heat pump is about 15 years old and I am in New Jersey. The a/c was not working this summer (it worked last summer) so I called someone out to fix it and they installed a boost kit which they said would help my heat pump hang on a little longer, anywhere from a year to five years. Then they added some freon but I am not clear how much, on the reciept the quantity was 3 and it said $29.99 each so that comes to $89.97 for the freon and the boost kit was $250.00 installed. So that comes to $339.97 all together. I also got a service agreement but I had already priced that out and it was very close everywhere so I am not concerned about that price. So in other words, for a boost kit (parts and labor) and to have the freon added it was $339.97, does that sound unreasonable? If I need to add anything else to clarify please let me know! Thank you for your help!

Old 06-19-03, 07:54 AM
AC cost

Not being there and see the job some times its hard to say. But I think you where had real real good. I would call the BBB there and tell them this I think the cost was to high and sure wish I could get $29.99 per lb for freon 22 and $250.00 for a start kit ED

Old 06-19-03, 09:21 AM
$250.00 for a hard start kit! WOW

Old 06-19-03, 09:38 AM
candlelite5
Visiting Guest
Help

Wait, I am confused, are you guys saying that I did get a good deal or that it was way too much?

Old 06-19-03, 09:55 AM
OUCH!!

they got you pretty good! refrigerant generally goes for @$12.50/lb in atlanta, and those hard start kits, the 2 wire ones go for about $65 to $115.

Old 06-19-03, 11:53 AM
AC cost

Like I said before call the BBB and tell them what they did. You did not get a deal.You have been had The way we all look at it. ED

Old 06-19-03, 06:01 PM
candlelite5
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Thanks to everyone for your help, I had a feeling I got ripped off and the person that was here was very intimidating and almost scary so I just wanted them out of my house. I will try to see what I can do through the BBB, thank you.