compressor vibrations

Old 06-18-03, 05:05 PM
joecon
Visiting Guest
compressor vibrations

My upstairs AC unit (non heat pump) Tempstar 2 ton 10 seer has needed service twice this season for a freon refill. The system is 7 years old. Twice now, the copper tube going into the compressor has developed a crack at a joint and the freon has escaped very rapidly. The crack was visible. The servce tech said that the compressor is just getting old and vibrating so much that it is cracking the tube. The compressor (scroll) does run very loud and it is not a very high end Tempstar unit. Does this sound correct? Should I replace this unit as I have been hit with multiple service calls over the past three years for various little (contacts, hard start kit, freon charges) things totalling about $400. Any help appreciated.

Second question: For an upstairs, what is the equation for ton per square foot for a new outside unit. I have a 2 1/2 ton inside coil.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-03, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Joe:

A seven year old a/c should still have a lot of life left if it was looked after.

There is a chance that it leaked from the same place if the cracked fitting was just brazed and not replaced. If it was a stress crack then the entire fitting would be brittle and probably leak again.
You don't say if it's working now. If so just leave it and if the fitting breaks again I would have a serious talk with your serviceperson.

Someone will have to give you a detaled heat load calculation.
If you are told that your space needs xxx/btu sq ft then find someone that knows how to calculate it.

Old 06-19-03, 04:19 AM
joecon
Visiting Guest
Yes. It is working great now. This system had no leaks before this tube developed cracks. Counting last year, it has develped three separate cracks in the first L joint from the compressor (non suction line I think). Each time, they have soldered the crack. Should I ask a service guy to just replace this 18 incches or so of line from the compressor to the coil? When I asked for that before, he just said that the compressor would vibrate a crack in that line too. You guys are always lots of help.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-03, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes, the piece of line should be replaced. It still may eventually break but will last longer than just brazing it.

Is the compressor noisy as soon as it starts or does the sound build up after a few minutes?
Also, is there any frost on the large line that goes into the outdoor unit and is the small line going into the unit hot or just room temperature?

Old 06-19-03, 02:53 PM
joecon
Visiting Guest
The compressor actually has always been rather loud compared to the copeland in my downstairs unit, even when it was new. It actually gets a little quieter as it runs. The large line has some condensation, but no frost. The small line is room temp. Thanks for all the help.

Joe