A question A/C type

Old 06-19-03, 02:51 PM
Syphon
Visiting Guest
A question A/C type

My dad had the local gas company come out today and give his central air unit the once over before it get's too hot here in Mich.
The tech cleaned the blower unit out and said something about having to have the A coil cleaned.. 90 persent plugged. He called around and got some prices.. Is this a hard job to do yourself? or can a homeowner do it? Does it need to be cleaned or cleaned and recharged? any advice would help..
Thanks Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-03, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
evap cleaning

depending on the application, horizontal, upflow or down flow, difficulty varies greatly. which do you have? this is a DIY project we can help with. if the blower assembly needed cleaning, my bet is that the evap is clogged as well.

Old 06-19-03, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Locate the air filter

If you can do that, you might be able to clean it yourself, otherwise the duct will have to be cut open and a patch put on after the cleaning. but if you can see the face of the evaporator coil you could vacuum it off and then wash it down yourself using a NEW bug sprayer and a quart of Simple Green, and then rinse well and clean out the trap. And make sure you use a pleated air filter and change them every 3 months, needed or not, and you'll never have to clean it again. As for the charge, freon doesn't wear out, it leaks out only if theres a hole. My house refrigerator has about a half pound in it, and has stayed there for 18 years so far, if I keep the coils clean it might go another 18...