RV roof top A/C

Old 06-21-03, 03:17 PM
Lupe Gonzalez
Visiting Guest
RV roof top A/C

[email protected]
Bought do-it-yourself a/c kit to check out and put refrigerant in a Coleman a/c on the roof top of a 1978 Itasca. Understood all the instructions that came with the kit, but it did not give information on how to determine whether the refrigerant was R- 12 or R-22, the unit appears to me to be almost identical to the window unit we use in our home. How do I determine which one this unit uses?
Blessings and Thanks, LupeG

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-03, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will be labeled somewhere. A total charge weight and the refrigerant. I believe they all use R-22 but don't be satisfied until you read the label. And just for your information, if they supplied you with a piercing valve for an access port, expect the majority of future leakage from that. I never saw an RV unit that leaked from somewhere that didn't need brazing to repair. Usually vibration causes a copper line to rub through. If that is the case, have a brazed on access port installed at the time of the repair.

Old 06-22-03, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof AC

Im with Kfield--------- but if you do use that line tap make sure you put it on the suction line of the unit. How did you buy this R22 or R12 kit are you EPA??? You sure they didnt sell you R134a
Find out what you have there first . ED

Old 06-24-03, 05:24 PM
Lupe Gonzalez
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks for your invaluable input

To K. Field & Ed. Imeduc; Thanks for the use of your brain power it was/ and is greatly appreciated. I could not find anywhere on the A/C unit with info on what refrig R-12/R-22 was being used, so I did a search for the Coleman A/C site and I found more info then I will ever need or use, again many thanks.
Lupe G.