blow but no cool

Old 06-22-03, 09:22 AM
Happyhtr
Visiting Guest
Angry blow but no cool

Fellas, I searched but could not find any previous answers to my problem. Fact #1--indoor fan blows when T-stat is turned to cool--good. #2- fan/compressor contactor pulls in and unit runs for about 1 min then fan/comp kicks off (contactor stays in). #3--indoor fan continues to run.#4-- when fan/comp runs air is very cool.I have to turn all power off at breaker to repeat this. otherwise the fan/comp never comes back on.#5-- I changed the contactor out( wiring job good drew myself a diagram) due to ants getting in between the points and burning them up. #6-- I have tied T-stat wires together, same deal.#7-- I have volts to ground on all three legs of fan motor but no spin or compressor Help me out

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-03, 09:37 AM
Happyhtr
Visiting Guest
I forgot it's a Trane

#8 the heater works . It is cool here now so vent air is cool. I turn t-stat to heat and hot air blows.

Old 06-22-03, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if

the contactor stays pulled in and the unit goes off (both fan and compressor) i would have to say maybe the capacitor? most safties (high/low psi switches, etc) are on the low volt side and would disengage the contactor.

Old 06-22-03, 01:21 PM
Happyhtr
Visiting Guest
OK

Thank you for your response. Now the contactor pulls in but it will not do anything now. I will look for a common? cap to both circuits. Any one else have any more ideas?

Old 06-22-03, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes

if contactor is pulled in get a meter and see if power is going across the points. if so, capacitor will be a dual type, providing power to both compressor and fan. it will have 3 terminals.

Old 06-22-03, 05:17 PM
Happyhtr
Visiting Guest
Yes I see three wires on the load sides of contactor. I also see one cap that has three wires on it, I thinks two of the wires go to the fan I will have to trace the other one. I will look again tomorrow. Will the multimeters with the Cap checker position on the selector switch check these big capacitors? I do have the correct voltage on both sides of contactor by the way, Talk more soon thank you!!!

Old 06-25-03, 06:24 AM
Happyhtr
Visiting Guest
Smile Got it!!

Well I went and bought a Dig meter and went to work. after checking the entire system (electrically), everything was good so I went back to the contactor . I had wired it incorrectly. I found a wiring diagram inside and found I had not paid enough attention to the L1-L2 / T1-T2 connections. Not too bad a project for a $13 contactor and $20 meter bought from a pawn shop Thanks to everyone that attempted to help me. I am now blowing good cool air!!!

Old 06-25-03, 06:26 AM
Happyhtr
Visiting Guest
See "blow but no cool" thread below

Got it!!