Central Air/thunder strom

Old 06-24-03, 01:49 PM
lgodbold
Visiting Guest
Angry Central Air/thunder strom

We had a thunder storm which caused the power to surge 3 times. Following that , the unit won't come on. The breaker was not tripped? Likely problem? Could the surges have destroyed the breaker or is it more likely something in the unit. This is at my elderly parents home and I'm trying to check into it before they have the expense.

Old 06-24-03, 02:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
look inside unit

with power off, you may find burnt wiring, parts, etc. check the disconnect switch at the oudtoor unit for fuses too

Old 06-24-03, 03:53 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Had the same thing happen to me last spring and it was not that expensive to fix in my case. Just burned out one of my electrical parts (sorry I cannot remember the name) like a diode within the AC unit itself. Cost about $85 including the service call. Brad

Old 06-24-03, 05:49 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
tripping

The unit is most likely trying to start before the time delay and tripping on overload. Once the overload tripss and the unit gets hot , shut it off overnight and try it in the morning. Kill it at the breaker first and then reset the breaker with the thermostat switch off while doing this so it won't try start. If you have to get it going now, kill the power to the condenser and put your hand on the compressor. If its real hot, place a bag of ice on it till the shell is good and cool to the touch. Then power it up. While you have the cover off do the obvious and look around ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: