Window unit freezes up

Old 06-20-03, 05:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window unit freezes up

I have a Frigidaire 5,000 BTU unit that freezes (ice on indoor coil)up at about 4 am every night.
Works fine in the day and early night.
Outdoor temp is amywhere from 65-75 when it freezes up, indoor temp anywhere from 72-75.
Unit worked fine last year all the way down to 60 outside at night
Haven't tried it below 75 in the day or early evening (normally just open windows if it's that cool out)
Airflow seems to be good and unit has between 20-25 degree temp drop when not frozen.
Any ideas ?

Old 06-21-03, 01:24 AM
PECseptic
Visiting Guest
a better replacement for window ac's

Check out the new craze in technology of heating and cooling, the portable roll around air conditioner, check out the to help solve your problems at XXXX XXXX and feel free to call or email from page for immediate help or answers to questions.

Moderator note:

Advertising is a paid service offered by DIY.com. Please contact site management for rates.

Last edited by GregH; 06-21-03 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-21-03, 06:27 AM
Unhappy $800.00 !!

Buying 2-3 units would be a nice down payment on CENTRAL AIR.
What does the unit do with the heat generated by the condenser?
Where does the unit get cool air to cool off the condenser ?
If from inside, doesn't the unti have to work even harder to cool the hot air entering the room that replaced the cool room air that the condenser used ?
What is the EER of these units ?
Where does the condensation go ?
These may be acceptable in certain cases but I don't see how they can work efficiently.

Old 06-21-03, 12:04 PM
could be

low charge, only evident when outdoor ambient temp drops. be sure to clean those coils and blower wheel real well. i lost a compressor in a window unit years ago by running it when it was too cold out

Old 06-21-03, 01:11 PM
Lightbulb Cleaning/Low charge

I have cleand the coils and blower (disassembled unit to clean thoroughly)
I guess that leaves low charge.
The unit has a 5 year "sealed refrigeration system" warranty, would this small leak be covered (if they could find the leak)
Would the manufacturer most likely just replace the unit or would it be economical for them to repair it ?
I don't want them to charge it up then have the same problem 2-3 years from now because they didn't fix the real problem.
I have noticed that the coil freezes first from bottom to top (liquid enters at the bottom of the coil) reinforcing the low charge thoery.
Also the problem has very gradually gotten worse.
The manufacturer gave me the names of Authorized service centers but they don't service it unless they sold it.

Old 06-22-03, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
A/C leaks

54regcab:

That's a tough one.
I used to do warranty for a couple of major window a/c mfr's and I have to say that they are not always too concerned about who does their work.
Although it really shouldn't be your problem, my experience with what they are willing to pay service co's is rediculously low.

My advice is to be assertive in your request to make sure the leak is repaired and put everything in writing to back-up your claims if it leaks again in the near future. Makers are willing to go the extra mile by giving you a "goodwill" warranty if you can back up your claims and be pushy.

Old 06-25-03, 07:22 PM
Red face Another round with Frigidaire

Apparently NOBODY wants to work on window units anymore, I called all of the "service centers" in the metro.
I called Frigidaire abck and they put me on confrence call with Sears (I already called the local Sears service center)
Apparently they will only do warranty work IN HOME (are their in home and in shop service centers separate ?? WTF) and tehy wanted to charge me $88.00 for a service call NOT covered by warranty.
I told the Sears rep i didn't want to stay home all day and pay $88.00 for a service call for something I could easily bring in.
So Frigidaire offers to Take care of the service call.
I told her that STILL puts me out of 2 days work and this solution wasn't going to work.
I also explained to the lady at Frigidaire that it would cost them more $$ to pay Sears for the service call, labor and parts than the unit is worth.
Then I asked to speak to the lady a Frigidaire's supervisor and when I got off hold the problem she absolutely couldn't do anything about got "fixed" (I never personally talked to the super BTW)
Frigidaire wants me to buy another Frigidaire A/C unit and they will reimberse me.
Problem is nobody in the OKC area (about 1,000,000 people in the metro area) has anything below a 12,000 BTU.
It looks as if I'm STILL not done dealing with this issue, what would you guys do ?

Old 06-25-03, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
54regcab:

I think that what you are being told is that these things are disposable and not worth repairing.
If they offered to pay for a replacement then you should get their offer in writing and go that route.

I'm not sure of pricing in your area but small window units sell for almost half of what they did ten years ago.
Walmart sells a 5000 btu for under $200.00 CDN which is less than $150.00 in US funds.
It doesnt take much of a repair to equal that amount.

Old 06-25-03, 08:37 PM
Check out your local Home Depot We got the 5k Maytag A/C at $87, (May be more depeding in area)

We got the next model up w/ remote...

Old 06-26-03, 05:15 AM
Lightbulb Replacement

Frigidaire ahs agreed to reimberse me for a new FRIGIDAIRE A/C
I can find 5,000 BTU units under $100.00 all over the place but nobody sells the Frigidaire
I have wondered if it's worth all the aggrivation for $100.00 but it's become a principle issue now
I realize it's not worth repairing it's was just a matter of convinsing Frigidaire of this fact.
It's kinda like me fixing 19" or even 27" TV's

Old 06-26-03, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
54regcab:

Frigidaire should be able to supply you with a list of dealers.

Some Frigidaire on the web: http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-large_a..._conditioners-

A list of Frigidaire dealers I found:http://www.frigidaire.net/FDL.htm#1503393

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: