Direction of air flow for CAC?

Old 06-25-03, 11:27 AM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Direction of air flow for CAC?

I have a center hall colonial house with 2 zone CAC (2 compressor units outside the house), one each for upstairs and downstairs. There are two opennings of 2'x3' on the ceilings, right next ot each other (Air intake?), which goes to air handlers (again, 2 of them) in the attic. My question: Are these holes for air intakes for each zone? What is the direction of the air flow? I assume the air travels toward the air handlers in the attic? I need to know this for proper filter installation. How the CAC work? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-25-03, 11:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C units

First I think what you said is yes this is the air return for the units
and the air goes up in them to the attic units . But when you say filters dont you have them in the air handlers up there now????
Or I sure hope you do ED

Old 06-25-03, 12:14 PM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Ed,
Thanks for the reply. I need to put the filter at this opening. I guess, based on your answer, these holes are for air return to the air handlers in the attick. So, both holes should have the same air flow direction, i.e., towards the attic, right? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Old 06-25-03, 01:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ducwork

You didnt say how big the units where . But try and put in filters as big as you can it dont hurt. ED

Old 06-25-03, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Kevin:

There is a good possibility that both grills are for return air but you should really dig deeper to be sure.
Also, you are planning to install a filter at those grills but did you check the air handler to see if one goes there?
There coud be one sucked into the fan if it was never checked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: