A/C Installation, but in UPPER window...

Old 06-29-03, 11:57 AM
frank pledge
Visiting Guest
A/C Installation, but in UPPER window...

Hello,

I live in Brooklyn NY and would like to install a new air conditioner (haven't bought yet) in my window, but in my UPPER window. I can't find ANY info about this on the net. Like:

any type of kit
any type of tutorial
or any type of anything

here's the thing: in NYC this is done all the time because window and light is VERY valuable.

The last time I had an a/c installed in upper window, my roomate hired 'pros' that basically screwed the metal window shut. effectively destroying the window.

there HAS to be some smart way of doing this...

thank you very much in advance,
Frank Pledge

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 09:01 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please know that a window-type AC unit is "rear-heavy" so that much of the weight is outside the window.

I suggest you present your problem to a local wood-working shop. A piece of Birch plywood set on a cleat-base which bears on top of the window may be a solution.The plywood is in the form of an inverted "U" with a cut-our section that matches the dimensions of the case of the AC unit so that the unit fits neatly into the opening in the plywood. The plywood must fit neatly into the window-frame so that it bears against the window-frame in order to support the weight of the unit.

Measure the window-frame exactly and make a sketch that you can present to the guys at wood-working shop who will understand and provide what you need.----Good Luck!!!

Old 07-01-03, 11:25 AM
frank pledge
Visiting Guest
thank you

i think i'm going to but a 2x4 inside the window frame (wood) and rest a plywood 'platform' for the air conditioner.

then i just might put angle brackets on the outside portion of the 'platform' that simply rests against the building wall

fp