air handler smell

Old 07-02-03, 01:01 PM
christine
Visiting Guest
air handler smell

About a year ago I had a new air handler/gas heater installed. For the past few months we've noticed a weird smell ( not gas) coming from the unit. It smells kinda like a refrigerant smell to me and it is getting worse. The air is still blowing cold. Any idea about what it could be would be most helpful because the smell is getting intolerable and the air conditioning company can't get here till Tuesday.But, with a kid with asthma I want to make sure it's nothing that could harm her before Tuesday. Thanks for any info at all!!!!
Christine

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-03, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
smells

Is there any ice on the big copper line comeing from the coil or at the outside unit? If its cold and wet then the freon should be ok and no leaks. where does the condensate line go to? Is the trap there filed with water. I have had it where the AC dried up the trap and would let sewer gascome out from them . So look around also had a bath tub that they didnt use and the AC dried out the trap there it would let the sewer gas in also

Old 07-02-03, 06:13 PM
had one the other day

found ...sorry....dead mice in the blower compartment and wheel. very similar complaint.

Old 07-09-03, 09:13 AM
christine
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info....the air guy checked everything out and of course found nothing. And of course the smell was not here that day!! I was wondering, though, if it could be mildew. When I had the air handler installed the guy showed me where there was a lot of black around the area that the air handler would meet the vent in the garage to distribute air to the rest of the house. I paid to have the ducts cleaned but they sealed up that part before they started cleaning the ducts. Now all around the ceiling of my garage above the air handler ( where there is that "cast" like material) it is black again and there is also a gap there. No smell in the rest of the house...only in air handler itself and by the air intake.
thanks!!!!!

Old 07-09-03, 10:17 AM
A/C

I would have this checked out, inside and out that black stuff you say could be mold & mildew and you want to get it out of there on the ceiling and in the air handler. Was he sure the drain was ok and the inside of the unit was not wet at all. When the unit runs the outside of it is not wet anywhere on it is it ? ED

Old 07-19-03, 11:03 AM
christine
Visiting Guest
He checked the drain and said it was fine. He recomended that we put an algae tablet in the drain every so often. He could not locate the source of the smell but sprayed a disinfectant thru the air intake and said that should take care of it. It did for about 3 days...then back to the smell. He had asked me if I recently painted the wooden platform box the air handler sits on but that had been painted a long time ago. I did paint the air intake vent cover ( if thats what its called) but he didn't mention that. The inspector is coming out soon...I'm hoping he will know (and that it will be smelling at that time since it's on and off) but it definitely smells like something chemical or mechanical, if that makes any sense to you. Thank you for all the info!!!!
Christine

Old 07-19-03, 12:47 PM
A/C

Just kicking it around. Did the tech amp out the blower motor? could be it is starting to burn out . the capacitor looked good there at the blower?If you take your hand and feel the ceiling there by the unit is it damp like? ED