converting from 1 to 2 zone heating?

Old 07-04-03, 06:59 PM
ellgrin
Visiting Guest
converting from 1 to 2 zone heating?

I'm looking at buying a particular house. It's about 3500 square feet- 2 floors and a basement. The day I looked at it the upstairs was warm and downstairs was cool. It seemed as though there was only 1 zone of heating/cooling since I only saw 1 thermostat. Is this possible for a new home of that size? The owner is out of town and the agent didn't have a clue.
If it is only 1 zone, what is involved in making it 2 or more zones? I saw some advanced thermostats with dampers that do it. Anyone know the cost to put something like that in? I'm trying to come up with an offer but I don't want to buy a house if this would be expensive to fix.
Thanks

Old 07-04-03, 07:55 PM
wservco
Visiting Guest
I don't blame him for selling
Unless duct work is accessibe for modification, not likely
It's going to stay hot up and cool down
-
Even if second system were to be installed in attic with new duct system, the existing system would complicate the load to capacity ratio for the house
-
hate when the hvac experts promise you the 5 ton monster will handle up and down loads--
now try to get him back out to explain why it doesn't

Old 07-06-03, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
ellgrin:

There would be no problem having a single zone in a two story house if the ductwork and fan were sized properly.

If seriously interested in the house I would have it examined by a mechanical engineer specializing in ductwork who would give you a detailed report on the hvac system.
He would also be able to design a ducting system that he would guarantee would work.

There have been a lot of questions on this topic. Search back posts for more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: