Re-route furnace flue

Old 07-08-03, 11:51 PM
Art Hernandez
Visiting Guest
Smile Re-route furnace flue

I'd like to re-route my furnace flue to go directly out the side of my house. Currently, it come out from the top of the furnace, then horizontal 6', then elbows up through the house, attic, and on up to the roof. The vertical portion is about 20' for a 2-story house. The furnace is in the garage. Can I simply extend the 6' horizontal piece in the garage with an additional 2' piece and go out the side of the house? I need to do this because I am remodeling a room upstairs and the flue travels through a bedroom, within the walls. The furnace was installed in 1990 in a new house.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-03, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Art Hernandez:

Yes the chimney can be run on an outside wall except that consideration has to be made for the type of chimney you have, what it is rated for and the code in your area.

Gotta be carefull on this one and call a pro.

Old 07-09-03, 10:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of Furnace do you have? Gas.. Oil?? 90% eff or 80% eff?

Is the flue PVC pipe or B-Vent? Water heater tied to it?

Old 07-09-03, 12:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
FLUE

Boy if this is type B check the code there where you are. I have ran a B vent up the outside of a home AND had to rework it. The pipe would get cold when the furnace was off and we would sometimes get a down draft in it and mess up the burners when they would light up ED

Old 07-09-03, 11:26 PM
Art Hernandez
Visiting Guest
Smile

I checked and the existing vertical pipe is B-vent, metal, and water heater is NOT tied into it. I can't find anywhere where it says 90% or 80% efficiency. How would I find this?

It's a Carrier furnace, Product 58GSC065-131JB, Model 58GSC065-JB, Series 130 if this helps. Where would I look up the code for Southern California?

Old 07-09-03, 11:27 PM
Art Hernandez
Visiting Guest
Oh, and it is a natural gas furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: