advice on a dirty evaporator coil please

Old 07-07-03, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
advice on a dirty evaporator coil please

I have a york rooftop unit that has a dirty evaporator coil.I have been cleaning it with a coil cleaner and making some progress,but am considering using a more aggressive cleaner,and using a hose instead of letting the condensate rinse the cleaner off.The charge in the unit seems to respond to the ambient temp([email protected]) so I think the charge is ok,but when I run the unit,it ices up on the suction line and the compressor sweats very much.I think it is doing this because it needs more cleaning on the coil.Can somebody please advise me further.Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-03, 08:09 AM
A/C

Have you put a light in there and see if you can see it on the other side of the coil??You can use a hose but dont bend the fins with a water blast. Are you EPA to put gauges on this unit.Could be low on gas after coil is clean. But I have R22 at 70o is 121.4 ED

Old 07-08-03, 03:45 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Since it's on the rppf, all you have to do is be careful that you don't have water and chemicals run into the house. I use a foaming action alkaline based coil cleaner like Alki-Foam, etc. The parts houses have them, just be sure to get an alkaline based cleaner, not acid based. Use a sprayer to get the cleaner deep into the coil where the dirt is embeded. Then rinse with a lot of water. You'll be amazed at how much stuff comes out. You may need to or three applications/rinses. Since you're up there and already messy, do the outdoor coil also. And look at the indoor blower fan wheel, it may need cleaning. Don't get the motor wet. Eye protection and rubber gloves are mandatory.

Old 07-11-03, 06:55 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the advice.I really appreciate it.