A/c not quite right

Old 07-07-03, 11:53 PM
2bobp
Visiting Guest
Question A/c not quite right

I have a new home and I'm pretty sure the a/c isnt working properly. I live in chicago and temps have been hovering in low 90's with high humidity. I have a 3300 sq ft housing with separate furnaces and a/c units for each floor. They are all frigidaire furnaces and a/c units. The lower floor cools great. It will cool the floor in 15 mins and then shut off. The upper floor however seemed to work fine until the temps climbed. Now if i turn the a/c on it runs forever and never goes below 76 degrees. I had a tech come out and he said the one unit that was the lower floor had pressures of of 250 on the high side and 75 on the low side. The OTHER unit that wasnt cooling well had pressures of 175 on the high and 85 on the low. He thought the valves in the compressor were bad and needed to be replaced.

He couldnt fix it as he wasnt a dealer for frigidaire so I called the guy who originally installed the system and since all the parts are new he didnt think the compressor was bad. He looked at it and he removed freon to get the pressures in line and said it should be ok. It is very slightly better but certainly not like it was! Was this a line of BS? Should I have someone else come look at it?

My return temps measure right by the filter were 71.5 and the discharge right at the top of the furnace was 56.5 on the bad one and 71.1 over 52.5 on the good one. The cool air coming out the registers upstairs was 65 degrees on the bad one and 58 degrees on the lower floor.

Any ideas?? Thanks alot for your help!!

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-03, 04:37 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Hi Bob:

If I understand correctly, the supply air on the upstairs unit is picking up 8.5 degrees from the furnace outlet to the registers? If so, therein lies your problem.

Old 07-08-03, 07:07 PM
2bobp
Visiting Guest
Actually no. those temps were incorrect. The temp is only 1.5 degrees warmer out the registers vs the furnace outlet. Today the return on the wall was 80.5 degrees and the cool supply was only 68.8 degrees. On my lower floor the return was 78.8 degrees but the cool supply was 58.9 degrees. Do you think the unit is bad? thanks
bob

Old 07-09-03, 10:21 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
13 degrees drop across the upstairs unit is too small. You need to have it checked but not just on the refrigerant side of the system. It could be that the fan on the upstairs unit is set for a speed that's too high. Too many techs only want to play with the freon charge and don't know how to check out the entire system.