AC Outside PVC Drain Pipe

Old 07-09-03, 06:55 PM
my2k
Visiting Guest
Question AC Outside PVC Drain Pipe

When I moved into my house last year (7 years old) the outside drainpipe from the Central Air on the 2nd floor was cracked below the foundation (Iguess someone ran over it or something). I worked with an AC guy to dig up the ground and get a 90-degree fitting and then straight up through the grass. I am glad that I found that because I would have had a flood eventually in the house because of the backed up water in the pipe. This was a last minute fix and we went to Lowes to get the correct pipe size, but it was getting late and dark, so we just wanted to finish the work.

Anyway, now I have this pipe that is approx 24" sticking out of the ground then a 90 and straight out approx 6" (upside down 'L').

How much height do I need out of the ground to have the water drip out? I feel that it is too high because I hit it with the mower sometimes also, I see other houses that it comes out 6" out of the ground, then a 90 a small 4" part and another 90 (Or a rounded section) so that the open part of the pipe now faces down again.

I am not sure how much I should cut to make the current pipe lower. Is their any benefit to this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-03, 05:00 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Six inches up would be fine. I'm a little confused here. The drain pipe from the second floor unit runs down inside the wall then out the foundation? Is the second floor unit in a closet or in the attic. I don't understand why they ran the pipe under the foundation.

Old 07-10-03, 06:36 AM
my2k
Visiting Guest
The AC Handler is on the 2nd floor in it's own closet. It is not sitting on the outside wall. It is approx 8' from the outside wall. When I dug up the pipe to fix it, it looked like it was coming from under the foundation. It did not seem to go down an inside wall. Regardless, I can cut it down and make it slightly smaller so it is not sticking up so high. Thanks.

Old 07-10-03, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what we do is have a french drain. have the pipe below ground with gravel around it. the water will wick through the gravel to evaroprate and the mower can still get over it.