Icing Up, but Not really Cooling Much

Old 07-10-03, 08:21 AM
jharvill
Visiting Guest
Icing Up, but Not really Cooling Much

Location: Denver, CO - current daytime temps in low 90s, low humidity. Central air unit is icing around the large line, both inside at the cooling coil and once outside at the compressor housing. Cleaned cooling coil, though there wasn't much there. Replaced filter. Unit turns on, runs and can be turned off just as if nothing is wrong, but will run all day because it just isn't getting the job done. Turns off at night, but I suspect that is because the ambient temperature drops here once the sun goes down. The duct work above the furnace feels very cool when it is running. The small line feels very warm, and of course, the iced up line is very cool. Unit is 10 years old and has never had a problem cooling the house even though the airflow has never felt particularly strong. House was new when the unit was installed. Window coverings in 2 upstairs rooms were recently removed and those rooms, doors and cooing registers, have been shut off pending receipt of new window coverings. Does the icing symptom indicate any normal failure, or is that upstairs area just getting too hot for the unit to cool the rest of the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-03, 09:45 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The cooling coil was removed, taken out in the yard and thoroughly cleaned with a foaming action coil cleaner, right? You'll be amazed at how much junk comes out. The reason is the dirt, etc., gets embeded/impacted deep in the coil and a surface cleaning is insufficient.

Old 07-10-03, 09:53 AM
jharvill
Visiting Guest
Well, nope - can't really take the coil outside since it has the lines attached and coolant would be dispersed. But the coil was moved from the top of the furnace and I was amazed that it visually appeared quite clean, both underside and topside. I brushed it with a snow removal brush, both inside and out, and vacuumed it with a brush attachment. Light shined pretty clearly through the fins when a flashlight was placed inside. I sprayed some window cleaner in one test spot and didn't get any significant gunk from the other side. Is there still likely to be enough dust/dirt build-up to impair the airflow?

Old 07-10-03, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C

From what you say and all is clean call a hvac tech it sure sounds like your low on freon. 10 years for a lb or two of freon is not bad at all. Have him go over the unit for any leaks while he is there ED